Third Party Press

gewehr98 converted to K98

bergess

if a gewehr98 was converted to K98 what serial numbers would take precedence.. because the barrel is changed to k98 would all parts be re-numbered to the newly installed k98 barrel.
or the gewehr98 receiver?
thansk a lot

I had thought in most cases the original barrels were shortened thus keeping the original sn.

In most cases the barrels were replaced, shortened Gew.98 barrels on conversions are actually rare. The new barrels used would not have had a serial, the original Gew. serial would be used. If you have a Gew.98 with a K98k barrel that has an old number, good chance it isn't original to the gun. Very rare to see barrel recycled, trying to think if I've ever seen it on anything other than a Commercial K98k.

Gew 98 bolt

what parts of gew98 bolt mechanism would be kept and used if gew98 was converted to k98...or would the bolt fitted be a complete new k98 replacement.
thanks a lot

On SS rifles they bent the original bolts most of the time. On Army rifles they replaced the bolt most of the time. I say most of the time because reworks are not an exact science, there really is no exact way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks mrfarb, so I guess if not exact science it could be possible for say the shroud of gew98 to end up on finished conversion

Did the ss uses Gew 98 bolts in k98k's. The bolt in question in a 1939 27 code (Erma). It's a straight bolt that's bent with the inside of the ball flattened and checkering on the inside part of bolt. Got any ideal what all the proof markings are. Info please. There's more to the rifle but I need to know if the bolts legit or not. Thank You

...The bolt in question in a 1939 27 code (Erma). It's a straight bolt that's bent with the inside of the ball flattened and checkering on the inside part of bolt. Got any ideal what all the proof markings are. Info please.
This doesn't seem right? What makes you say it's a 1939 Erma bolt?

That's originally for a Kar.98a but I don't know 'who' made this one.
I think it is a Polish bolt for a K98. It is not correct for a German K98k. The nomenclature can be confusing, but a K98 (Polish) is a totally different rifle than a K98k (German) . In casual usage, the K98k is often incorrectly referred to as a K98.

Last edited:
I think it is a Polish bolt for a K98. It is not correct for a German K98k. The nomenclature can be confusing, but a K98 (Polish) is a totally different rifle than a K98k (German) . In casual usage, the K98k is often incorrectly referred to as a K98.
If so that would explain all those weird glyphs on the bolt root I didn't understand.

Thank you for the info on the polish bolt. This bolt is numbered to the German k98. It was a straight bolt that's been bent. Did the Germans do this. It is stamped on the correct location on the bolt quit deeply and professional like done by some one who knows what thery where doing. I have 11 k98's ight now and did till resently many many more and I've never heard of or seen this. I've cleaned thousands of surplus k98k's. So info much appreciated.

The bolt you show looks like a Polish K98 bolt that was made bent, not a straight bolt that was later bent. I think more photos would be needed of the rifle, markings and s/n to say more.

It's a straight bolt that was bent. It is polish. Thank you for that information. A couple of picks to show it's a straight bolt that's been bent. Now can any one tell me if any one German used these polish bolts in the 2nd World War in k98k's.

Although the Poles did use straight handled bolts on some of their rifles, the K29 and WZ29, those bolts had a full round knob.
The bolt you show is the turned down bolt with a checkered half knob used with the Polish K98. The Polish K98 is/was a copy of the Imperial German kar98a which used an identical bolt other than markings.

The Germans did not number captured/foreign bolts to match their K98ks. If your bolt is number matched to your German K98k, it was either done by a post war user, or by someone here in the states trying to “enhance” the rifle.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back