Third Party Press

Thread: Kar. 98K Identification

Default Kar. 98K Identification

Greetings,

I'm trying to identify the reciever markings on my Model 98K. I hope someone can help! This appears to be a very active forum, and from the posts I've read so far; very knowledgable as well.

I've looked through a lot of the threads in the "Picture Reference Index" sticky, but so far haven't had any luck. I think most of my problem is that I'm not even sure what letters I am looking at. They almost look Cyrillic, but I've honestly no idea. I am referring to the stylized AC AG? in the photo K98K_02.jpg. Can anyone help me ID what I have here? Even just knowing what the letters in question are called (and from what language) would be a huge help!

Thanks!
    --Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images

You have a ce 43 (JP sauer)

Nope, not Cyrillic, that is a script ce, which was the code for JP Sauer und Sohn....they actually came in two flavors, the script ce and a block font ce. JP Sauer received their receivers from two suppliers, Walther and ERMA, and IIRC Walther made the script font receivers, and ERMA the block fonts.

So your rifle is a JP Sauer gun using a Walther supplied receiver (If I remember that correctly again)

Upon further review it was the sidewall Mod. 98 style that pointed to manufacture...script sidewall's are ERMA's and block sidewalls were Walther, so your receiver is ERMA...not Walther.
    Last edited by pzjgr; 08-08-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Correct. A 1943 rifle assembled by Sauer (WaA37) using a ERMA (WaA280) supplied/made receiver and a Sauer made barrel.

You guys are fast! Thank you so very much!

Are these receiver markings in the photo thread @ http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....eference-Index ?

Thanks again!!

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

So of course all the fellows are correct. Here is another early '43 script Sauer on an Erma receiver.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....9-my-new-CE-43
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"