Third Party Press

Kar. 98K Identification

acceler8

Greetings,

I'm trying to identify the reciever markings on my Model 98K. I hope someone can help! This appears to be a very active forum, and from the posts I've read so far; very knowledgable as well.

I've looked through a lot of the threads in the "Picture Reference Index" sticky, but so far haven't had any luck. I think most of my problem is that I'm not even sure what letters I am looking at. They almost look Cyrillic, but I've honestly no idea. I am referring to the stylized AC AG? in the photo K98K_02.jpg. Can anyone help me ID what I have here? Even just knowing what the letters in question are called (and from what language) would be a huge help!

Thanks!
--Dale

Attachments

• K98K_01.jpg
    K98K_01.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 74
  • K98K_02.jpg
    K98K_02.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 97
  • K98K_03.jpg
    K98K_03.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 54
  • K98K_04.jpg
    K98K_04.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 59
Nope, not Cyrillic, that is a script ce, which was the code for JP Sauer und Sohn....they actually came in two flavors, the script ce and a block font ce. JP Sauer received their receivers from two suppliers, Walther and ERMA, and IIRC Walther made the script font receivers, and ERMA the block fonts.

So your rifle is a JP Sauer gun using a Walther supplied receiver (If I remember that correctly again)

Upon further review it was the sidewall Mod. 98 style that pointed to manufacture...script sidewall's are ERMA's and block sidewalls were Walther, so your receiver is ERMA...not Walther.

Last edited:
Correct. A 1943 rifle assembled by Sauer (WaA37) using a ERMA (WaA280) supplied/made receiver and a Sauer made barrel.

Military Rifle Journal
Back