Third Party Press

SS Gew98 to K98k conversion with raised serial number

Absolut

Since it was a discussion over on gunboards.com, I thought I would share some detail pictures that indeed a rifle can have raised serial numbers even when the stock is not sanded simply due to poor storage.

This one was sitting in a jute bag on an attic in a farm in Ebensee since 1945 and came into my possession directly from there. This did rust damage to the gun, but it is completely untouched and fully matching numbers down to every single part.

During all of this long storage it appears that the serial number which was originally stamped INTO the wood started to raise and in fact now is higher than the stock itself.

Attachments

• ss_03.jpg
    ss_03.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 151
  • ss_04.jpg
    ss_04.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 154
It is possible, it's moisture in the wood that swells the wood and the stamps. I have an S/147G with the same affliction, even the Waffenamt stamps in the wood are raised.

Wait, you sure it's not an SS gun...they used raised stamps early on....

I have a DSM-34 with a raised stamp. Most likely from moisture too.

CneqMNl.jpg

Last edited:
This is due to Moister and Swelling . Could someone explain how in the world You would Stamp Raised Numbers in Wood . :laugh:

One of mine has this as well on the wrist, left buttstock and a partial serial on the keel.

Attachments

• C8D74462-9305-44F3-889A-BAC8817AD469.jpg
    C8D74462-9305-44F3-889A-BAC8817AD469.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 24

Military Rifle Journal
Back