Third Party Press

After reading “Karabiner 98k”, Page 344 . . .

JimF

. . . dealing with Sauer production, I’m now wondering . . .

It states the barrel and receiver were blued as a one-piece unit.

In talking with gunsmiths that blue weapons in today’s world, they say if they blued rifles like that, the barrels and receivers would rust/bond themselves together permanently . . . . and bluing salts would leech out from the joint for a long time thereafter.

Leaves me wondering how they did that . . . given the K98’s didn’t seem to “leak” the salts from the barrel/receiver joint.

Man-o-man, I’m having a great time reading this book . . . —Jim

I based that on the original price list documents, which detail the assembly process. I agree with you though. Later documents clearly refer to bluing barrels separate at other factories.

They may have blued threads before assembly too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except that the documents are dated 1942

Also, have you seen the photo in backbone of the guy pulling the barreled actions out of the blue tank?

Finally got around to cracking open backbone, here’s the photos. You tell me if they blued the barrel and receiver as an assembly. By the way, sight base installed. If you read through the "Price list" documents they detail step by step the process used. Keep in mind it's a snapshot - I do recall seeing documents where rust was an issue in the threads - and if I recall correctly, the documents spoke of using grease or bluing the threads before assembly. It's been too long and there have been other things that have taken that space in my brain.

7a344269278406889b73e80a799a7c92.jpg

b533f0c96aa95844265e41582cdfe3ec.jpg

I'm moving this post to the K98k section, it's got some good info in it.

Good stuff very interesting pictures! It’s curious that the soldered parts are on the BR as well as this is typically not accepted practice going into a hot salt tank. Double rifles and shotguns come apart at the soldered barrel joints when you do this that’s why they stick to rust bluing.

It's been many years since I've worked for a company that did firearms bluing and parkerizing but we put the parts in a neutralizing bath after the finish was done.

Military Rifle Journal
Back