Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gew98 to K98 to SS Sniper

One other piece of advice I guess, if your intention is to buy an SS short side rail sniper, start smaller and buy a mismatched Gew conversion, or even an RC. Spend time learning the base rifle, then, when ready to buy, spend some money flying to the auction house and viewing the rifle in hand. No way Iíd spend 25,000 on an SS sniper without seeing it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

I had no idea level of sensitivity collecting k98's..thought it would have been straight forward....thanks for advise.

Quote Originally Posted by bergess View Post
    I had no idea level of sensitivity collecting k98's..thought it would have been straight forward....thanks for advise.
    Wherever there is big money to be made, you will find dishonesty and deceipt...sad but true, and there is big money in 98k's...

Default Gew98 to K98 to SS Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by bergess View Post
    Yes, anything SS should automatically be held as suspicious. There are legit items, but some is half good, or half bad. You have to know how to tell, and some bad is so good you have to be an expert to tell. Myself, Iíd never buy a short side rail sniper Army or SS, period (maybe an Army built one if it was totally matched with the mount). And I co-authored the book on them, I just donít trust any of them Iíve seen so many fakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

I've heard over there on gunboards there is an expert for SS rifles. Pretty sure he has proofs the e/37 marked band was swapped by a field armorer .

With the SS SSR snipers, first make sure the rifle is an original Gew98 to K98k SS conversion. If you are 100% sure it is (and others confirm this too), then carefully inspect the bases in very detail. There are differences with the SS SSR snipers, the very early ones were three screws only, securing screws came later. Some also had the securing screws not on top/on bottom of the screw but all three either on the left or on the right side. And most if not all bases carried the rifle serial number on them too.

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?

Not all the Bases were Numbered . I have seen SS SSR`s that were 1941 Conversion Dates that had UnNumbered Bases .