Third Party Press

Gew98 to K98 to SS Sniper

bergess

Could have it been possible that a gew98 was sent to a facility to convert into k98, went into service, but then later found it's way to ss facility for conversion for mounting a scope.

but it's got eagle proof marks..I didn't think that proof marks were on ss contract rifles. I'm just getting into K98's so I'm probably talking absolute rubbish.
thanks a lot

Sorry, we don’t allow posting links to ongoing auctions. I will say that SS rifles are heavily faked and you need to study for years just to be able to safely buy them, as mistakes are expensive. SS snipers are even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks..

The ad says it was converted in 1933/34 into a ssr, receiver ring markings were removed. It has some remnants of the WWI GEW proofs on the right side of the receiver ring with "eagle/N" commercial proof. It is fitted with a standard K98 rifle barrel that is numbered "5780" on the left rear side with the correct "S/42" and double "WaA63" mauser factory rework proofs on the right side of the rear sight base. The left rear side of the barrel is stamped with the matching serial number and a single SS Death's Head proof. It still retains the early all milled components; trigger guard, floor plate, and front barrel band with those components still retaining partial Imperial proof(s) and matching numbers with a later WWII "eagle/37" proofed replacement lower barrel band. It still retains its original bolt stricker and cocking piece.

Attachments

• 2018-08-17_1057.jpg
    2018-08-17_1057.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 2018-08-12_2127.jpg
    2018-08-12_2127.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 2018-08-17_1058.jpg
    2018-08-17_1058.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 117
Well, Eagle N markings are from 1940 on, so.......no way it’s from 34.

In the last rock island auction there was a faked up SS Gew conversion, probably about $600 rifle tops as the barreled action was real but everything else was fake. It sold for $6500.00. So, what stuff sells for at RI sells for is not necessarily the real value.

One other piece of advice I guess, if your intention is to buy an SS short side rail sniper, start smaller and buy a mismatched Gew conversion, or even an RC. Spend time learning the base rifle, then, when ready to buy, spend some money flying to the auction house and viewing the rifle in hand. No way I’d spend 25,000 on an SS sniper without seeing it in person.

I had no idea level of sensitivity collecting k98's..thought it would have been straight forward....thanks for advise.

I had no idea level of sensitivity collecting k98's..thought it would have been straight forward....thanks for advise.

Wherever there is big money to be made, you will find dishonesty and deceipt...sad but true, and there is big money in 98k's...

Yes, anything SS should automatically be held as suspicious. There are legit items, but some is half good, or half bad. You have to know how to tell, and some bad is so good you have to be an expert to tell. Myself, I’d never buy a short side rail sniper Army or SS, period (maybe an Army built one if it was totally matched with the mount). And I co-authored the book on them, I just don’t trust any of them I’ve seen so many fakes.

I've heard over there on gunboards there is an expert for SS rifles. Pretty sure he has proofs the e/37 marked band was swapped by a field armorer :googlie.

With the SS SSR snipers, first make sure the rifle is an original Gew98 to K98k SS conversion. If you are 100% sure it is (and others confirm this too), then carefully inspect the bases in very detail. There are differences with the SS SSR snipers, the very early ones were three screws only, securing screws came later. Some also had the securing screws not on top/on bottom of the screw but all three either on the left or on the right side. And most if not all bases carried the rifle serial number on them too.

Not all the Bases were Numbered . I have seen SS SSR`s that were 1941 Conversion Dates that had UnNumbered Bases .

K98 bnz

Hello, i am new her and my English is not very well but i Need Help an i have a Question.

I hope somebody can help me.
For me the K98 is the most Interessting Weapon every Time.

Is it posibble that a Einhakmontage Single mit bmj scope is on a bnz K98 with SSZZA4 Stamp ??

Is it possible that a G98 Change to a K98 an get a Single Einhakmontage an a bmj Scope an a SSZZA4 Marking ?

I Thank you for Anwsers.

Nice Day.
:hail:

Hello, i am new her and my English is not very well but i Need Help an i have a Question.

I hope somebody can help me.
For me the K98 is the most Interessting Weapon every Time.

Is it posibble that a Einhakmontage Single mit bmj scope is on a bnz K98 with SSZZA4 Stamp ??

Is it possible that a G98 Change to a K98 an get a Single Einhakmontage an a bmj Scope an a SSZZA4 Marking ?

I Thank you for Anwsers.

Nice Day.
:hail:

Best that You Post Pics of Rifle . But even without Pics I would say NO to both Questions You ask at least not an Original SC Rifle

Is it posibble that a Einhakmontage Single mit bmj scope is on a bnz K98 with SSZZA4 Stamp ?? ANSWER > NO

Is it possible that a G98 Change to a K98 an get a Single Einhakmontage an a bmj Scope an a SSZZA4 Marking ? ANSWER > NO

K98 sszza4

Hello, thanks for the answer.
Why should it not have happened in the wartime turmoil that a weapon of the Wehrmacht came into a depot to repair?

Is there any written record about it?
I post no picture on the Internet.
The photos are private.
Thanks for the answer.
Martin100

It's unreasonable to expect an answer to a question that refers to a non-standard or field repair.
Most if not all knowledge concerning WWII German rifles is based on standard military, factory or repair depot procedures.
Tens of thousands of things happened during the war concerning repair/doctoring of weapons that will never come to light.
Put another way, the guys that might have witnessed one-off procedures are most likely no longer around to comment.

Military Rifle Journal
Back