Third Party Press

Ugh... K98 disappointment

Last fall I picked up a Colt New Service in a trade deal. When I went to register it-here in MI all handguns are registered-it popped up as stolen back in the early 90's in Detroit. I got it out of WV from a guy I had dealt with before. He got it from Cabela's. The sherrif's dept. was cool. The clerk called me direct and said "Rich, don't trade it yet(they know me pretty well!:facepalm:). Let me check on this for you".

Turns out Colt used the same ser. #'s on TWENTY SEVEN different firearms. This is a known fact to LEO's apparently.

Maybe the OP can use that to explain K98 ser.#'s to the cops.

K98 disappointment

For decades, German military rifles were entered into the NCIC system simply as German 8mm Mausers with the numeric portion of the serial number only. Model 98k's, 33/40s, g24(t's), g29(o)'s, g29/40's, Gew98's, Kar98a's, Gew88's, Kar88's and Gew91's of all different makes and all different years were entered exactly the same way. Each number could literally have hundreds of possible possibilities.

If i was the OP, i'd be sure to check with their dealer to make sure that they document the correct manufacturer and year of the rifle (not simply a Mauser) and the full serial # (not just the numeric part) in their bound book. A phone call from the FFL to the investigator at this point saying that they had incorrect information on the firearm would be prudent.

(A helpful hint for anybody that sells on the internet, always include a detailed invoice with the correct manufacturer with year and complete serial # with suffix to avoid a future hassle)

In my personal experience, pawnbrokers seem to run into issues with German firearms more often than any other type of FFL dealer.

If the OP can connect with the assigned investigator, I suggest bringing along a book specifically on 98k's that details the different makers, markings and serial numbers...it's the easiest way to show that the rifle in question was not made by Mauser and the serial number on the rifle has a letter suffix....and bringing along photo copies of the appropriate pages that you can leave with the investigator is always a plus.

Still wondering how the rifle's serial number got reported and tracked prior to delivery to the OP if the NCIS check does not mention serial number?

I updates so far. I submitted more information to the PD about multiple makers, multiple different rifles that could be called “German Mauser 8mm” and the use of letter suffixes. Making the case that the whole serial should include the letter suffix.

Will update if I end up hearing anything.

I updates so far. I submitted more information to the PD about multiple makers, multiple different rifles that could be called “German Mauser 8mm” and the use of letter suffixes. Making the case that the whole serial should include the letter suffix.

Best of luck with it. Thanks for the update, and let us know how this pans out.

Don't forget year. To ID an individual rifle, you need code, year and full serial number.

I added up the combinations once, even with the letter suffix I think I came up with as many as 93 possible rifles with a given serial number. If you dropped the suffix letter it would be way more than that. What was the total German K98k production, about 14 million or so? With most manufacturers using 4 digit serial numbers and restarting every year, any given 4 digit number (without suffix) could have been repeated ~1,400 times.

Basically they said it is a slim chance of me getting the rifle.

If they can determine it isn’t the rifle then maybe.

Basically any other scenario (prior owner deceased, or never getting all the info they need) then they said it would likely be deatroyed

More like "seize and disappear".
I'd be discussing with ATF and get a firearms attorney to push back on the OSP.

Still no movement from the local PD. In fact, they still have not contacted the FFL I purchased it from (as he and I have been in ongoing contact).

Only get “still under investigation” when I contact the PD.

I received a full refund from the seller (he has been great) but so far the handling on their part hasn’t been great.

Still no movement from the local PD. In fact, they still have not contacted the FFL I purchased it from (as he and I have been in ongoing contact).

Only get “still under investigation” when I contact the PD.

I received a full refund from the seller (he has been great) but so far the handling on their part hasn’t been great.

That last part is great. Dealing with the system can be difficult, but depending on the size of your local municipality it might be low on their priority list. Hope it all works out in the end.

Still wondering how the rifle's serial number got reported and tracked prior to delivery to the OP if the NCIS check does not mention serial number?

With the electronic form E-4473 I wouldn't be surprised the Model and Sn info is transmitted electronically.

OP, did you work with the dealer to correct the SN , manufacture, year on the 4473?
It looks there is a process for this:
https://orchidadvisors.com/making-corrections-on-form-4473-and-e-form-4473/

I was having a Mauser transferred and checked what they were using for Sn, model, etc on the E4473.
Manufacturer: Mauser
Model: 98
SN: "BNZ45"

Explained the manufacturer is Steyr (bnz is the code for the mnf), the sn are the numbers on the barrel and included the letter underneath. The model is K98.

"See it says the model "Mod.98" and the paperwork says "BNZ45" from the seller. Looks like every other Mauser that's come thru here. Have to go by what's on the gun."

After explaining there's 10s of thousands of BNZ45 all with different Sn, they fixed that. Had to explain you need to add the letter, as they made 10,000 or more every month and start over with the next letter. You have duplicate Sns without the letter.

Got the sn fixed but they wouldn't budge on Mauser and model or at least denoting bnz 45 on the form.

So this is definitely a problem with old guns and even with long time dealers. Worse if it's then wrong in a state database as that will be even more difficult to fix.

Another good reason to use your 03 if you can and get a C&R if you don't have one.
But even then some dealers won't ship to any 03.

Military Rifle Journal
Back