Third Party Press

1936 k98 mauser

Dear Members,

I am new to this site so please bear with me, all helpful hints will be appreciated. Years ago, I received this rifle from a WWII veteran whose brother was a Sherman Tank Commander. This gun was picked up on the battlefield by him, carried in the tank for the duration of the war and then brought home. He passed and gave it to his brother who was also a WWII vet and was later sold to me. To try to keep the site language clean I can only describe what his brother said about the rifle. He loved (dispatching) those S.O.B.s with their own rifle. He laughed and said ammo was readily available. I could only submit three pictures because of file size, I have yet to figure how to adjust the size of jpg file, any suggestions? Every piece on this rifle is stamped with numbers and small eagles, must have taken someone two days just to stamp this rifle and all serial numbers match. Please help me with how collectible this rifle is. Before long, it will be put up for sale and just want to know what I've got before I let it go. Please disregard of the BSM 22 Training rifle, it is on a different thread on this site but any information on it will also be appreciated. If any questions or want to see additional pictures just let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_E1088.jpg
    IMG_E1088.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 195
Looks to be a nice honest Mauser Oberndorf made in 1936. Bolt has the right Waffenamt. Can you post pictures of the serial number on the bolt?! If all matching. Easily north of $2200+.

Be prepared for a flood of private messages with offers to buy.

Last edited:
A very clean example of a scarce early made K98k by Mauser. You will have too take alot more pictures too be able too fetch a nice price for it. If its all matching and in the present condition well over $2200.

I'll be honest I love these pre war made K98k rifles they are just gorgeous. The fit and finish is remarkable.

pictures

I will try to attach additional pictures tomorrow. My photos seem to be too big. I will retake tomorrow and post them.

I had the same problem with photos, try uploading 4 at a time and when those upload do 4 more, works for me[/QUOTE
My photos are jpg photos taken with iPhone. Three of my photos take up the total file allowance. I'll just have to keep working with it I guess.

Additional pictures

Additional photos attached

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 124
This is an EXCELLENT rifle sir and marked to the finance ministry to boot! Appears to have shrapnel?? damage to the left buttstock, curios to see what that looks like, always interesting to see battle damage!

RFV marked, your value just went up.

Please only take apart if you feel comfortable. Want to try and preserve handling marks for maximum value!

Also, early rifles are not my main interest but that's beautiful!

A scarce 1936 S/42 rifle, plus being all matching, and being RFV marked. Wow really really tough too find this nice. You have a nice elusive rifle sir. Thank you for taking more pictures too.

Last edited:
Although your photo is inverted, I believe the lower band is installed backwards. The sling swivel should be on the left side.

Really nice rifle in super condition, not sure if it was mentioned but the RFV on the buttplate is for the security services at the Reich Finance Ministry, they show up on early K98’s and more frequently on Walther PP’s.

Are there any markings on the cleaning rod? It should be numbered with the last two digits and proofed.

Thanks, Nick

The RFV was also in charge of Customs, and guarded the borders and such. Something happened in Germany in 1936 - there are a ton of 1934 - 1936 dated rifles with RFV numbered buttplates, but just a scant few dated after. Many of the numbered guns dated 1936 have lower numbers than those dated 1934 (for example I have a 1934 dated rifle with an RFV number of 1975, and another 982). I have a theory as to why - what happened in Germany in 1936 that might require a lot of customs enforcement? Maybe some kind of big show? It's just a fun theory I have, nothing serious.

The RFV was also in charge of Customs, and guarded the borders and such. Something happened in Germany in 1936 - there are a ton of 1934 - 1936 dated rifles with RFV numbered buttplates, but just a scant few dated after. Many of the numbered guns dated 1936 have lower numbers than those dated 1934 (for example I have a 1934 dated rifle with an RFV number of 1975, and another 982). I have a theory as to why - what happened in Germany in 1936 that might require a lot of customs enforcement? Maybe some kind of big show? It's just a fun theory I have, nothing serious.

Do you mean the remilitarization of the Rhineland? "Customs agents" being a sort of shadow army before then?

Might that have been a reason for no Heer acceptance on Obendorf production until after 1936 whereas Sauer does?

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back