Third Party Press

Luftzeugamt Depot Build

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
So I bought that Luftwaffe depot rifle. A nice example from early in the production run, so I thought I would throw up some better pics for reference. I don't think its been apart since the war, its still packed with its original sealing wax on the inside. Built on a spare BSW 1939 receiver with the typical mix of armorers parts, mostly from Astrawerke and the Dresden subcontractors, and a pair of salvaged parts. Stock and handguard are Menzel 'E/18 C' marked. Both are numbered internally, and the stock is numbered externally also. Stock markings under the buttplate are 'Br 2 39 40'. Buttplate has some sort of grey-green paint for internal rust protection instead of the usual red oxide, which I don't think I have ever seen before.

Barrel is marked cxm 63 41 bys E/26 (x3). I don't see an '0,2' marking, so I think it was ground off like another e block rifle I had in the 3700 range. I don't want to disturb the old wax, so I can't look that closely.

Sling that came with it is marked with an ink stamp that ends with 'PRAG 1942'. Can't make out the Czech maker's name above that. 'V. W???? W. ???GNER'? Anyone recognize the stamp? Really, really thick leather on this thing. Keeper is unmarked, but looks to be made of the same type of leather.

Attachments

• Rifle Righht.jpg
    Rifle Righht.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 252
  • Rifle Left.jpg
    Rifle Left.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 271
  • Receiver Top.jpg
    Receiver Top.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 377
  • Receiver Left.jpg
    Receiver Left.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 380
  • Receiver Right.jpg
    Receiver Right.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 292
  • Bolt_01.jpg
    Bolt_01.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 270
  • Bolt FP.jpg
    Bolt FP.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 232
  • Bolt Extractor.jpg
    Bolt Extractor.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 227
  • Bolt Cocking Piece.jpg
    Bolt Cocking Piece.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 211
  • Bolt Extractor Collar.jpg
    Bolt Extractor Collar.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 188
  • Bolt Underside.jpg
    Bolt Underside.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Follower.jpg
    Follower.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Rear Sight.jpg
    Rear Sight.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 172
  • RS Base.jpg
    RS Base.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 169
  • RS Ladder.jpg
    RS Ladder.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 155
  • RS Slide.jpg
    RS Slide.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 146
  • TG Front.jpg
    TG Front.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 176
  • TG Rear.jpg
    TG Rear.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Sear.jpg
    Sear.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Magwell 2.jpg
    Magwell 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Some more pics. Always like to see the raw wood in the sling cutout, under the bands, and on the edge of the stock where it meets the handguard. You can see some hardened wax inside the stock also.

Attachments

• Rear Band.jpg
    Rear Band.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Front Band.jpg
    Front Band.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Bayo Lug.jpg
    Bayo Lug.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 100
  • Bands.jpg
    Bands.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Bandspring.jpg
    Bandspring.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Stock Right.jpg
    Stock Right.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Stock Left.jpg
    Stock Left.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Sling cut.jpg
    Sling cut.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Buttplate.jpg
    Buttplate.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Buttplate Inside.jpg
    Buttplate Inside.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Stock Date.jpg
    Stock Date.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Stock SN.jpg
    Stock SN.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Stock WaA.jpg
    Stock WaA.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Stock SN 2.jpg
    Stock SN 2.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 103
  • HG top.jpg
    HG top.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 99
  • HG SN.jpg
    HG SN.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 84
  • FS SN.jpg
    FS SN.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 83
  • FS Ding.jpg
    FS Ding.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Grease.jpg
    Grease.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Grease2.jpg
    Grease2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 96
Last one of the sling marking. Easily the thickest sling I have ever seen. Extremely tight though the rear band.

And just for illustration, the removed '0,2' on LZA rifle 3796e

Attachments

• Sling.jpg
    Sling.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 143
  • LZa 02.jpg
    LZa 02.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 141
Very cool gun. You think the wax could be cosmoline? It looks it to me in some of the cracks. Really great gun in my opinion. On the sling, only maker I know that is close is Von Waldow Prag.

186e150707cdfa9b99cb39fe6f70f93e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool gun. You think the wax could be cosmoline? It looks it to me in some of the cracks. Really great gun in my opinion. On the sling, only maker I know that is close is Von Waldow Prag.

186e150707cdfa9b99cb39fe6f70f93e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, first part of the makers mark is definitely "V. Waldow". Second half is harder to make out, but defintiely ends in "NER".

Could be something similar to Cosmoline. I have two other rifles packed with the same stuff.

Congrats to your new rifle and thank you very much for the great photos! Jordan looked with me at the rifle in the auction, the pictures was horrible and now we can see all details. :happy0180:

It's a very early Luftzeugamt Depot Build and it's nice we have the stock completion date code "BR 2 39 40", it means September 24, 1940. Certainly it was assembled mid/end 1941, fits to the rifle crisis time frame.

I would say the "old wax" is Waffenfett TL 6006 - Gun grease TL 6006, it was used to spread the Unfleiß, the areas between barrel, receiver and stock.

Regards,
Stephan

Very close Mike, the maker is W. Waldow-Launer in Prag. The company made leather goods like rifle slings, steel helmet chinstraps etc. for the Wehrmacht.

I would say the "old wax" is Waffenfett TL 6006 - Gun grease TL 6006, it was used to spread the Unfleiß, the areas between barrel, receiver and stock.

Good info! It is also spread all over the bayonet lug to keep the lug and front band from rusting together.

Congrats to your new rifle and thank you very much for the great photos! Jordan looked with me at the rifle in the auction, the pictures was horrible and now we can see all details. :happy0180:

It's a very early Luftzeugamt Depot Build and it's nice we have the stock completion date code "BR 2 39 40", it means September 24, 1940. Certainly it was assembled mid/end 1941, fits to the rifle crisis time frame.

Regards,
Stephan

What Stephan said on both counts, congrats. That gun grease was applied per regulation to generally keep water, etc., out of the areas between the wood and metal. It would have been applied upon issue IMHO. I've got that on a number of rifles. Many times over-ambitious collectors clean that off to make the rifle "perfect" :googlie Good that you left it! I've got a couple unissued rifles that have a black preservative grease which I think is what was put on at the factory under the woodline. I think the black areas on the wood under the bands show the remnants of this in some instances.

Excellent rifle, congrats, and pic stickied.

Love that rifle! Good grab. I Wanted to.chase it so bad. But too much buying up here. Glad someone here got it.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back