Third Party Press

Questions on 1939 BSW

is there a picture list of G98 conversion... I see 'denny gaither' has a beauty but can't see it in list

There are the few "wrong" pieces, but far out weighed by the remaining originality I'd say it's a broad range between $900-$1,500. But I may be a bit biased.

I bought a well used, band spring only mismatch 1938 bSw last fall for $3,300. One tiny piece may be overlooked with buyers discretion but larger mismatched parts or renumbered parts take large chunks of value away.

right got it..thanks. So would it be the parts of this one that would make you wary..but maybe possibly ok with someone else ? then I guess it's all down to the individual.

Last edited:
right got it..thanks. So would it be the parts of this one that would make you wary..but maybe possibly ok with someone else ? then I guess it's all down to the individual.

Anything replaced, renumbered or not original on any rifle would make me wary and not dig as deep into the pocket. That is a very nice rifle in my eyes. Still very worthy of putting in a collection, the odd parts wouldn't scare ME off, but the price would have to be right. Someone else might not know of the suspect parts and toss large coin at it but I would have to mention the facts, then let the buyer decide. As I said before the original parts of that one far outweigh the wrong ones. The rest looks right as rain to me, 39's are damn tough to find in any condition. If I was selling that one I would do full disclosure on what is suspect on it, then mention all the original stuff. Mention they only were made halfway into 1939 and are very difficult to locate but some parts were replaced.

Last edited:
Anything replaced, renumbered or not original on any rifle would make me wary and not dig as deep into the pocket. That is a very nice rifle in my eyes. Still very worthy of putting in a collection, they odd parts wouldn't scare ME off, but the price would have to be right. Someone else might not know of the suspect parts and toss large coin at it but I would have to mention the facts, then let the buyer decide. As I said before the original parts of that one far outweigh the wrong ones. The rest looks right as rain to me, 39's are damn tough to find in any condition. If I was selling that one I would do full disclosure on what is suspect on it, then mention all the original stuff. Mention they only were made halfway into 1939 and are very difficult to locate but some parts were replaced.

I tell you what, I've learnt so much on this forum over the last few weeks...marvellous.

For a dope like me just starting out, what makes it interesting is the challenge trying to figure all this stuff out....cause from what I've learnt so far you could have the barrel forged in one place, inspected in another and assembled onto the receiver (I've yet to learn if correct) forged and finished somewhere else...fascinating.

Can I please ask...if I saw 'dennys' rifle...what would be the few 'wrong' pieces that stand out or appear suspect that make you want to ask deeper questions or would effect the price you offer.
thanks a lot

For a dope like me just starting out, what makes it interesting is the challenge trying to figure all this stuff out....cause from what I've learnt so far you could have the barrel forged in one place, inspected in another and assembled onto the receiver (I've yet to learn if correct) forged and finished somewhere else...fascinating.

**It's commonplace for barrels produced in one place and provided to various manufacturers and they then assemble and proof the final product**

Can I please ask...if I saw 'dennys' rifle...what would be the few 'wrong' pieces that stand out or appear suspect that make you want to ask deeper questions or would effect the price you offer.
thanks a lot[/QUOTE]

The pieces I can be sure of 100% are (1)The bayo lug shows no eagle/4 proof, bSw serial and proofed everything from the factory. (2) the front band is clearly a scrubbed and renumbered part and also no proof mark. (3) The bolt body is a mid-late FN produced bolt with the tell-tale MI marking on the rear lug, can't make out the waa but likely 140. There is a B on the root typical of bSw production but has no business on an FN made bolt. (4) The sight leaf spring should be e/4. (5) Bolt shroud has no B and 2x eagle/4 proofs as it should have. I only have a loose matching bSw bolt in the "a" block to compare style and font. No "a" block rifles in my possession at all. All no letter block rifles save for one "b" suffix 37'. I included pics of original bSw parts off my rifles. I only pulled 4 of the bolts because they all appear the same and my bad hands can only take so much. Also just noticed the two different style number "3's" on the front bands. Had not noticed until now, one is a RC part, the one with bad finish is a spare part in my bin. May be a renumbered band as it's the ONLY "squash top 3" I recall seeing on a bSw part.

DSC04796.jpgDSC04797.jpgDSC04798.jpgDSC04799.jpgDSC04800.jpgDSC04801.jpgDSC04802.jpgDSC04803.jpg

Last edited:
More original bSw bolt shots. Last two are also to a matching bolt and the only "a" suffix bolt I own.

DSC04804.jpgDSC04806.jpgDSC04807.jpgDSC04808.jpgDSC04809.jpgDSC04810.jpgDSC04811.jpg

Fantastic, thanks very much, appreciate the info. I guess because you've been around bsw's for so long, seen so many and have several in your possession it becomes easy to spot anomalies on other coded bsw's.

Thanks again.

Fantastic, thanks very much, appreciate the info. I guess because you've been around bsw's for so long, seen so many and have several in your possession it becomes easy to spot anomalies on other coded bsw's.

Thanks again.

Indeed, can spot questionable pieces a little easier having not just the rifles but 4 bins of bSw parts too. It's another reason I focus on one manufacturer. Just SO MUCH to know/learn that it gets confusing. I can only imagine the insurmountable task that Mike and Bruce went through writing the books. Phenominal amount to know and absorb. **Also with so few original bSw's around for reference it makes it much more problematic when you find one and it seems so foreign to vet the piece"

Cricky, 4 bins of bits to go with all your bsw's ...excellent. You are right, focusing on one particular code makes perfect sense..and like mrfarb said, spend a little and get to know it, then move up as you get more confident. I guess a lot of folks find this hard to do because soon as you see it emotions take over and the wallet comes out so you have to be disciplined and resist temptation, something that Mike and Bruce have tonnes that's for sure. certainly with the books and this forum makes new collectors life a hell of a lot easier and more fun.

It’s hard to resist the instant gratification because when you first start out you feel like you will never find anything to buy. As time goes on you realize there is too much to buy. The longer you collect one thing, the more people know you are buying that stuff, before you know it you end up with 4 bins of stuff. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s hard to resist the instant gratification because when you first start out you feel like you will never find anything to buy. As time goes on you realize there is too much to buy. The longer you collect one thing, the more people know you are buying that stuff, before you know it you end up with 4 bins of stuff. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ha ha very true

Military Rifle Journal
Back