Third Party Press

ultimate k98

bergess

just out of curiosity and interest is there such a thing as the ultimate k98 from a collectors perspective.

I don't think there is an "ultimate" K98k per say. As you saw in the other thread, people prefer different rifles for different reasons. Some collect BSWs since they were the smallest manufacturer, some collect Oberndorf since they're the original Mauser manufacturer. I will say this, some rifles are rarer than others. Intact 42 1940 rifles are pretty rare, but less rare than an intact S/42K. Some prefer the early years of high polish, excellent finish, and walnut furniture, some like the later years and more industrial look. However, S/42k #1 would be very sweet to own and is probably the only correct answer

Why is the 42/1940 so hard to find intact? I'm thinking because of it being issued so early in the war?
I've got a nice one with a bolt mismatch.

Why is the 42/1940 so hard to find intact? I'm thinking because of it being issued so early in the war?
I've got a nice one with a bolt mismatch.

I'm not 100% on this, but I've read that most of the 1940 rifles were sent to the Eastern Front in preparation for Barbarossa and were deployed there.

For me it would be an Objective Mount Sniper Rifle with Ziel-Dialyt 6X and Mono Pod thats 100% matching

I'm not 100% on this, but I've read that most of the 1940 rifles were sent to the Eastern Front in preparation for Barbarossa and were deployed there.

Heard the same for 1941 dated rifles being harder to come by due to Eastern Front fighting. I don't often see many 98ks with that year. Like to know the truth myself.

The fact is the War in Europe was fought and lost in the East. The vast majority of German military equipment, and resources, physical and material, disappeared into that bottomless pit.

The fact is the War in Europe was fought and lost in the East. The vast majority of German military equipment, and resources, physical and material, disappeared into that bottomless pit.

That's the fact. The loss of men being the most difficult thing to replace IMHO.

Military Rifle Journal
Back