Third Party Press

Help identifying correct parts on this 43 BYF

tphilly88

Looking to identify correct parts on a 1943 BYF. Aside from the obvious cleaning rod missing (I have one in the mail), I am curious about the buttplate and the un-numbered screws which are not pictured.

Should any of these three parts be numbered (buttplate, screws, and cleaning rod)? To my novice eyes, the rest of the rifle is matching except for the front handguard which is a mismatch. For that reason, I bought it for $900. Also the stock appears to be sanded. If the rest of the parts turn out to be incorrect I won't be heartbroken. I like the thin finish on the receiver. I think it gives it a really nice character.

Attachments

• IMG_2239.jpg
    IMG_2239.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2240.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2241.jpg
    IMG_2241.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2242.jpg
    IMG_2242.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2244.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2238.jpg
    IMG_2238.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 123
Bands are wrong, my guess is the stock is not matching either, looks like an earlier stock. Definitely has been messed with. The screws would not be numbered. My guess is, if the bolt matches it’s probbaly a rescued sporter.

Bands and stock are numbered correctly to the rifle. Don’t appear to be forced either. I’ll get pics later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bands and stock are numbered correctly to the rifle. Don’t appear to be forced either. I’ll get pics later.

There are a few problems with that theory. The bolt and the barreled action appear correct and matching.

Bands are wrong, my guess is the stock is not matching either, looks like an earlier stock. Definitely has been messed with. The screws would not be numbered. My guess is, if the bolt matches it’s probbaly a rescued sporter.

What type of bands and stock would be correct?

What type of bands and stock would be correct?

Bands would both be milled, your lower band is milled, (it appears someone drilled it out to fit a kriegs stock?) Buttplate and action screws would not be numbered. Send a photo of the numbers in the barrel channel of the stock. Send a photo of the trigger guard and floor plate as well.

Bands would both be milled, your lower band is milled, (it appears someone drilled it out to fit a kriegs stock?) Buttplate and action screws would not be numbered. Send a photo of the numbers in the barrel channel of the stock. Send a photo of the trigger guard and floor plate as well.

Ah, I see. The finish on the front band is very consistent with the rest of the rifle. Is it possible that it was an arsenal replacement and therefore numbered correctly? The drilled portion of the rear band is interesting as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2423.jpg
    IMG_2423.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2424.jpg
    IMG_2424.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2428.jpg
    IMG_2428.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2429.jpg
    IMG_2429.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 60
I'm pretty confident the stock is an early '42 BLM piece but even with that the butt plate is not right. Bands have already been covered. I'd like to see what's on the keel and especially under the butt plate. That will tell the tale for sure.

The stock is actually 41 Sauer, kind of similar bolt cut between BLM and Sauer. Cross recoil lug is likely BLM though.

Not a problem, if you are in a situation to return the rifle, I would highly suggest that, unless it is something you simply really like. I think we’ve all overpaid for something we had to have at times as collectors, I know I have. If someone says they haven’t then they are probably just an investor.

Not a problem, if you are in a situation to return the rifle, I would highly suggest that, unless it is something you simply really like. I think we’ve all overpaid for something we had to have at times as collectors, I know I have. If someone says they haven’t then they are probably just an investor.

Eh, I don't know if I overpaid at $900. Perhaps opinions on that will differ.

What I'm sure is incredibly rewarding for you seasoned collectors of German military history is equally frustrating and difficult to navigate for us newbies :) I collect bits and pieces from all over the world so I have much knowledge to absorb about a great many things.

BTW..thanks for the Kar98a barrel bands from eBay, lol.

Yep, you are right, completely overlooking the takedown disc, I just saw the side proofing style and bolt cut and overlooked some facts lol.

Well I'm nowhere near as good as many on this site but I do love the game. Trying to spot the little details that separates different manufacturers is pretty neat IMHO.

Haha you got it sir! I have more 98a bands too. My value reasoning comes from the stock issues, typically a bolt m/m will out value a stock m/m.

QUOTE=tphilly88;245526]Eh, I don't know if I overpaid at $900. Perhaps opinions on that will differ.

What I'm sure is incredibly rewarding for you seasoned collectors of German military history is equally frustrating and difficult to navigate for us newbies :) I collect bits and pieces from all over the world so I have much knowledge to absorb about a great many things.

BTW..thanks for the Kar98a barrel bands from eBay, lol.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm nowhere near as good as many on this site but I do love the game. Trying to spot the little details that separates different manufacturers is pretty neat IMHO.

It sure is fun! I often miss big details when they are looking me in the face haha.

Military Rifle Journal
Back