Third Party Press

G41w restoration project

agentcq

I bought this G41w project from Darrin Weaver ~2013-15 which was advertised as such:

"It's a project. The good: appears functional, most parts match to include the lugs, firing pin carrier, bolt carrier, probably the bolt. Has desirable straddle mount rails for sniper configuration. And, it's cheap. The bad: missing op rod, trigger, stock, stock hardware, FP/FP extension, trigger guard and mag. Action cover and muzzle cone mismatch. Interior bolt group heavy patina/splotches. Sides present well, lots of areas will need TLC, maybe reblue."

The rifle took a few years to export/import and it took a few years to get all the parts I needed. Originally I ordered a reproduction stock from Fox in Poland but I also found an original stock with repairs (not done by me, but I will need to work around it and finish the job - sadly other than the glue that was used in the repair, the stock had been untouched but to remove the excess glue I will likely damage the original finish - I still don't understand why the glue was slopped on and excess not wiped off in a timely manner, it would have made things much easier).

Life has also gotten in the way, but since my 'bunker' is almost finished I decided it was time to also finish this project. So last night I took all the parts out and they are currently soaking. Don't worry the WD40 was only used to loosen some parts and was wiped off immediately, the 911 Terrorist Blade was only used to cut sponges and the concoction used only on Metal is a mix of Pine Tar and Linseed Oil which is great for removing rust.

I am worried the finish may be too far gone, but we will see.

I was wondering if members think I should used the original stock or reproduction stock?

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 57
I'd probably just fix the original stock you have.

Looks like you are missing the dovetailed center piece on the bottom of the receiver that the center trigger guard screw goes into.

I'd ask tbied2 if he has one.

One of your FCG spring legs is in the incorrect location too. The one that should be on top of the trigger pin when the receiver is flipped.

I circled the spring and pointed where it should be. This is the same for both sides. I posted what it should be too.

Halfway down this page is more photos of what it should be.

http://claus.espeholt.dk/exploded_view_g41.html

Attachments

• IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 41
  • mech4.jpg
    mech4.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Your bluing is probably a gonner in a number of areas, but you can remove the rust and make it fully functional. You will have some pitting left over, which you cannot do much about.

I went through two rifles recently (G43 & DSM-34) that were in similar shape and they turned out fairly good.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?30678-G43-ac44-Restore
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?29964-BSW-DSM-Restore

High-level, I did the following:
  • Completely disassembled the rifles - I mean completely
  • Soaked everything in kroil(buy the gallon) before I took each piece out to clean off rust
  • Went over each piece with either a brass brush (fine) or Frontier 45 Pad to clean off all rust
  • Wiped down stock with as mild of soap as possible
  • Degreased everything
  • Reoiled all parts with quality gun oil
  • Reassembled

I remember watching your G43 restoration. The project overall is getting close to completion. I hope to have pics within the next 2-3 weeks.

Well...I'm 90%+ done this project. I was able to find a center screw wedge and proper magazine spring thanks to 'tbied'. I purchased an original hand guard off Ebay and I fixed the spring thanks to help from Clause and I was able to sand down the excess plastiwood smeared over a significant external portion of the stock and I was luckily able to color to match the original un-touched finish, all while keeping intact original markings/cartouches.

I regret taking the trigger group apart - if people think that a G/K43 trigger group re-assembly is a PITA think again.

Once all together I realized two things sadly. One, I am missing two trigger guard washers - which cause a failure to function as the trigger wobbles (can't believe I don't have any in my G/K43 bits). Two, I need to relieve more plastiwood from the inside of the stock as the action isn't quite sitting properly in the stock and is slightly too high. Once I resolve these two issues I am done. But after working 6+hrs on the rifle on Canadian Thanksgiving Monday alone and since there was snow outside and I didn't wish to fill my house with plastic dust, the project will need to wait.

Attachments

• IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 32
Well...I'm 90%+ done this project. I was able to find a center screw wedge and proper magazine spring thanks to 'tbied'. I purchased an original hand guard off Ebay and I fixed the spring thanks to help from Clause and I was able to sand down the excess plastiwood smeared over a significant external portion of the stock and I was luckily able to color to match the original un-touched finish, all while keeping intact original markings/cartouches.

I regret taking the trigger group apart - if people think that a G/K43 trigger group re-assembly is a PITA think again.

Once all together I realized two things sadly. One, I am missing two trigger guard washers - which cause a failure to function as the trigger wobbles (can't believe I don't have any in my G/K43 bits). Two, I need to relieve more plastiwood from the inside of the stock as the action isn't quite sitting properly in the stock and is slightly too high. Once I resolve these two issues I am done. But after working 6+hrs on the rifle on Canadian Thanksgiving Monday alone and since there was snow outside and I didn't wish to fill my house with plastic dust, the project will need to wait.
Nice progress!

Actually, for a G/K43 trigger group, it was painful until I realized that you just go left to right (barrel to the left). I put it together the opposite way a couple times before I realized that though. Now it takes about a minute or two to install. Those hollow washers though... :laugh:

Coming along! I’ve been slowly amassing parts for mine, one of these days I’ll have to post it. These threads are inspiring me to get some work done on it! Haha.

g41 trigger group ..

hey.. assembly of the trigger group is pretty tricky. after looking at you pic, i think that you are missing this part... i sent you an e-mail...

getPart%202_zpse9cxrzs8.jpg

tbeid2

It appears that is the part I need. In the schematic/diagram of a G41 in Hitlers Garand's it shows the part you have taken a picture of and the same part is in GSU's pic. Where I am confused is the following schematic on D.W's website it shows a standard G41/G43 doughnut type spacer.

All I want is a rifle that will function reliably. It isn't like I will ever shoot it more than once just to say I have and then it will sit on the shelf until I can find a reasonable upgrade rifle.

If someone know which part I need for sure, please let me know - and tbeid2 if you have the part I need, I am happy to buy!!!

Regards.

Attachments

• IMG_0715.JPG
    IMG_0715.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 24
Looks like the G41 possibly took both types of parts. The spacers being later war production.

Many thanks to tbeid2 who is selling me that stamped "trigger lever" part two spacers - so I will be good to go either way!

Military Rifle Journal
Back