Third Party Press

J.P. Sauer 41 K98 for potential purchase - Guidance appreciated!

Darth2a

Here's a gun that is available locally. In my my very limited knowledge and research, it seems pretty good. I don't see any evidence of it being an RC, and didn't see any import marks either. I have it on a 24- hold at a local shop, so some guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20180826_135255345.jpg
    IMG_20180826_135255345.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20180826_135302203.jpg
    IMG_20180826_135302203.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20180826_135312355.jpg
    IMG_20180826_135312355.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20180826_135320976.jpg
    IMG_20180826_135320976.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20180826_135331248.jpg
    IMG_20180826_135331248.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20180826_135343132.jpg
    IMG_20180826_135343132.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20180826_135359305.jpg
    IMG_20180826_135359305.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20180826_135448014.jpg
    IMG_20180826_135448014.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20180826_135457739.jpg
    IMG_20180826_135457739.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20180826_135513753.jpg
    IMG_20180826_135513753.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 84
Here's a gun that is available locally. In my my very limited knowledge and research, it seems pretty good. I don't see any evidence of it being an RC, and didn't see any import marks either. I have it on a 24- hold at a local shop, so some guidance would be greatly appreciated!

I guess it would depend on the price. Looks like the stock and bands don't match.

The band doesn't and I don't know enough about the stock markings to tell. 900.00, though, which seems good given my limited knowledge.

Thoughts?

Stock is wrong, from what I can see, E/135 proofed which is Mauser Oberndorf, not Sauer....and it looks sanded.

Rear band doesn't match, what about front band? Bolt?

Just the mismatched sanded stock, and at least one mismatched band, worth way less than $900...

I would not fo based on what I see here...

Stock is wrong, from what I can see, E/135 proofed which is Mauser Oberndorf, not Sauer....and it looks sanded.

Rear band doesn't match, what about front band? Bolt?

Just the mismatched sanded stock, and at least one mismatched band, worth way less than $900...

I would not fo based on what I see here...

Point taken. FWIW, I haven't found anything even this nice (not that this rifle is a gem by any means) for any where near this money. Everything I've seen that isn't an RC or import-marked is well over 1000.00. You say that the rifle is worth WAY less than 900.00. Any ideas on where I can find a decent matching rifle that's not 2k? It seems that given that the other parts match (bolt, bottom plates, rear sight etc.), that this rifle must have some value. Not contesting your opinion, but rather just trying to find the middle ground here.

Point taken. FWIW, I haven't found anything even this nice (not that this rifle is a gem by any means) for any where near this money. Everything I've seen that isn't an RC or import-marked is well over 1000.00. You say that the rifle is worth WAY less than 900.00. Any ideas on where I can find a decent matching rifle that's not 2k? It seems that given that the other parts match (bolt, bottom plates, rear sight etc.), that this rifle must have some value. Not contesting your opinion, but rather just trying to find the middle ground here.

Yep, that's just my opinion...I wouldn't pay that for it.

They are out there...in June my buddy found an all matching byf 44 at the DACA show here in Dallas on Friday for $800...he later sold it to me for the good pal price of $1k....

A sanded, refinished, mismatched stock is a huge killer IMHO....

I am in the position of waiting for deals, as I have over 50, so I have no desire to pay huge mone for one, and I wait for deals, or luck into them....

If you feel it's worth it to you, grab it for sure, it's just not for me at that price...

It's pretty foolish to estimate a price with these pictures, but I agree $900 is probably too much, maybe $500-600 if the action is all good (barreled receiver, bolt, TG-FP); pretty safe range as a lot of stupid people pay that for rc's and they are $200 shooters at best (you are a fricking moron to pay more than $300 for any rc...)

Hopefully the stock isn't too terrible (it's walnut at least) and you can flip it for a decent price to offset its replacement. But again, these few (dark) pictures are little to go on, - best course is to pass it by, especially at $900.

You will have to judge your market. With RCs being $400-600, a JPS matching metal except the band, walnut MO sanded stock, it would bring about $750-800 in my area. For those who have a pile of nice rifles it is junk. For the market value in some areas, and for those subject to mostly RCs and humped guns, I would put $750 in it. Folks pay $300 for a decent MO walnut stock. The parts would bring $750 IMO but opinions are like holes, everyone has at least one. You have to figure your own market. At least it is not humped crap often seen on auction sites.

I am on the inside buddy niche for US collecting, including M1911s and A1s. I can pick and chose since I have about 50. I can hold out for bargains. I see others buying stuff I would not touch and paying way more that I would for inferior and non-original guns. It is partly about who you know and your market.

It's pretty foolish to estimate a price with these pictures, but I agree $900 is probably too much, maybe $500-600 if the action is all good (barreled receiver, bolt, TG-FP); pretty safe range as a lot of stupid people pay that for rc's and they are $200 shooters at best (you are a fricking moron to pay more than $300 for any rc...)

Hopefully the stock isn't too terrible (it's walnut at least) and you can flip it for a decent price to offset its replacement. But again, these few (dark) pictures are little to go on, - best course is to pass it by, especially at $900.

Thanks to all for their wisdom. I just don't understand where these prices are coming from. You can't touch a RC here in NH for less then 500-600. I know they're not worth that much, but I have never seen any K98 in any condition sell for less than that up here. Where are there RCs for 200.00 in this market? (Not that I want one, but I'm just befuddled by the pricing as I said). It seems that matching rifles are 1750-2k+, but given that the stock doesn't match and it has one or two mismatched bands, it's now worth 25% of that?

You will have to judge your market. With RCs being $400-600, a JPS matching metal except the band, walnut MO sanded stock, it would bring about $750-800 in my area. For those who have a pile of nice rifles it is junk. For the market value in some areas, and for those subject to mostly RCs and humped guns, I would put $750 in it. Folks pay $300 for a decent MO walnut stock. The parts would bring $750 IMO but opinions are like holes, everyone has at least one. You have to figure your own market. At least it is not humped crap often seen on auction sites.

I am on the inside buddy niche for US collecting, including M1911s and A1s. I can pick and chose since I have about 50. I can hold out for bargains. I see others buying stuff I would not touch and paying way more that I would for inferior and non-original guns. It is partly about who you know and your market.

Mike,

This pricing more accurately reflects the market where I am too. Okay, so it sounds like this thing is not WAY off, but might be a bit overpriced. Anyone have a all-matching gun they want to sell?

Mike,

This pricing more accurately reflects the market where I am too. Okay, so it sounds like this thing is not WAY off, but might be a bit overpriced. Anyone have a all-matching gun they want to sell?

If you want all matching and original, save up and you will find one eventually but a 41 JPS will bring at least a small premium IMO. A 44 byf would be more affordable and findable. Like anything else, it is weighing the pluses and minuses. Be patient and wait for what you want or settle for something more affordable knowing it has issues. As long as you make an informed decision, you at least know what you are paying for. Check the WTS here frequently and you may find the matching rifle you want at an affordable price. I think the chance of doing that on an auction site is extremely low.

I sold a stock only mismatch 1938 JP Sauer for $850 shipped recently, beautiful metal. This one is not far off base in price but assuming nothing else is wrong with it. I'd say offer $700 cash, he will say $800, then you are right there. Make sure the bore is good first.

This rifle is inadequately photograph to give a reliable (safe) estimate, those that have responded are assuming a great deal, - from the pictures, the barreled receiver, bolt and TG-FP look original, the finish in reasonable condition with no major distractions, that makes $500-600 a relative safe range, the stock is the crucial unknown element, for this rifle to be worth more than $600 the stock would have to be worth reselling or trading (it looks like it might be, not perfect, but decent enough, mostly due to it being walnut). Most longtime collectors are reluctant to dive into restorations unless it is something that fills a hole in their collections or something special (a ce/41 is not special, 1938-1944 JPS made a relative consistent production range, none are rare or especially elusive, condition is the primary driver of value and a complete action is not going to draw a lot of interest...).

Starting out it maybe worth a stretch to buy something decent at a higher price, though it is difficult to imagine why someone in NH would be having problems finding something better for $900, - living out west or the south (where everything is chopped up for hunting, or use to be) one could understand your dilemma, but in New England? New Hampshire, the friendliest gun state in NE, home to all the auction houses where all the flippers get their wares from? I think I would try harder before buying this project rifle for $900.

As for rc's, what peddlers are asking for them and idiots are paying for them have little bearing on what they are worth. Just as used car salesmen peddle junk cars for inflated prices to those too lazy, too illiterate or too broke to buy a better vehicle, these rc peddlers/promoters live by the same principles, they sell rc's (shooters and refinished garbage) to those that are too lazy, too illiterate or too susceptible to nonsensical historical contexts (elaborate stories firmly grounded in fantasy) to know better.

I just don't understand where these prices are coming from. You can't touch a RC here in NH for less then 500-600. I know they're not worth that much, but I have never seen any K98 in any condition sell for less than that up here. Where are there RCs for 200.00 in this market? (Not that I want one, but I'm just befuddled by the pricing as I said). It seems that matching rifles are 1750-2k+, but given that the stock doesn't match and it has one or two mismatched bands, it's now worth 25% of that?

This rifle is inadequately photograph to give a reliable (safe) estimate, those that have responded are assuming a great deal, - from the pictures, the barreled receiver, bolt and TG-FP look original, the finish in reasonable condition with no major distractions, that makes $500-600 a relative safe range, the stock is the crucial unknown element, for this rifle to be worth more than $600 the stock would have to be worth reselling or trading (it looks like it might be, not perfect, but decent enough, mostly due to it being walnut). Most longtime collectors are reluctant to dive into restorations unless it is something that fills a hole in their collections or something special (a ce/41 is not special, 1938-1944 JPS made a relative consistent production range, none are rare or especially elusive, condition is the primary driver of value and a complete action is not going to draw a lot of interest...).

Starting out it maybe worth a stretch to buy something decent at a higher price, though it is difficult to imagine why someone in NH would be having problems finding something better for $900, - living out west or the south (where everything is chopped up for hunting, or use to be) one could understand your dilemma, but in New England? New Hampshire, the friendliest gun state in NE, home to all the auction houses where all the flippers get their wares from? I think I would try harder before buying this project rifle for $900.

As for rc's, what peddlers are asking for them and idiots are paying for them have little bearing on what they are worth. Just as used car salesmen peddle junk cars for inflated prices to those too lazy, too illiterate or too broke to buy a better vehicle, these rc peddlers/promoters live by the same principles, they sell rc's (shooters and refinished garbage) to those that are too lazy, too illiterate or too susceptible to nonsensical historical contexts (elaborate stories firmly grounded in fantasy) to know better.

I concur with this 100%....as I said, based on the pics provided, the things you can be sure of, the stock is wrong, its been sanded and varnished/poly'd, at least one band is wrong. Just based on that I would say worth no more than $700.

From the replaced stock and band, you could make the supposition its a restored sporter, in which case both bands would be mismatched, possibly the handguard. And I don't know if the bolt was verified as matching....evry other part that is not matching lowers the value, IMHO....

But again, your circumstances may be different, and for the OP it might be worth the stretch. I am saying it would not be for me.

And I also agree with Paul 100% on the RC's....I wouldn't pay more than $250 for one, and I also think people are nuts to pay what they do, but to each their own...

Well,

In an odd turn of events, the shop in question does NOT allow offers on consignment pieces! So, on the shelf it stays. I really want an all-matching rifle, and don't mind paying a reasonable price for it.

Thanks to all!

Last edited:
As a new k98 collector, I am confused about how a rifle's "value" is determined.
If RCs are selling for north of 4-5 hundred dollars, how can they be only worth 2 hundred? I would personally pay 2 hundred for any k98, as it it could easily be resold for a profit.
What am I missing? This forum is a constant source of firearms education to me. Thanks

As a new k98 collector, I am confused about how a rifle's "value" is determined.
If RCs are selling for north of 4-5 hundred dollars, how can they be only worth 2 hundred? I would personally pay 2 hundred for any k98, as it it could easily be resold for a profit.
What am I missing? This forum is a constant source of firearms education to me. Thanks

A rifles value is determined by how much someone is willing to pay.

To me, personally, an RC is worth $250, no more unless its something really interesting. Therefore the most I would be willing to pay for an RC is $250. If I find one for that price I would buy it. If not, I will not.

How you value a rifle is up to you....

Generally speaking, if you follow auctions and general trends, then the going rate for an RC is $500 and more. I would not by one for that, but you might.

I honestly can say I doubt I will ever pay more than $2k for a 98k, no matter what. Unless I hit the lottery or became independently wealthy. If money were no object, none of yous guys would be winning any GB auctions...unfortunately, that is not the case....:facepalm:

I know this Rifle , its at a Gun Store I frequent daily . Both Bands are MM also .

I know this Rifle , its at a Gun Store I frequent daily . Both Bands are MM also .

then I don't regret selling it, yeah I sold it there, a few miles from me, I don't have the files to that rifle, remember there where #s on the bands, humped or mismatched?

Military Rifle Journal
Back