Third Party Press

G41 Replacement Bolt Group Question

Pelerus

Hi all,

When shooting with a matching G41, one strategy I have heard described for preserving original matching parts is to preemptively replace the bolt group, which contains the parts most likely to suffer shooting related damage. That way, if damage does occur, the original parts are safe at home.

I am wondering, however, if there is any danger inherent in this approach, i.e. from introducing non-matching components?

I have heard that the G41 is a very finely tuned rifle with tight tolerances, so I am wondering if this replacement might ultimately do more harm than good, and is therefore not worth the $1000+ cost involved in doing so.

Thanks for any insights!

I don't have a G-41, but I do have a G-43....

My first question, is where do you find an extra complete bolt group? I mean G-41 parts are just about unobtanium....

Second is why in the world would you even want to fire such a rare gun? I mean a get taking it out, and putting a few rounds through it to see how it shoots....not that I would even do that...but shooting it more than that?

I won't ever shoot my G-43, not worth the risk to me...

I don't have a G-41, but I do have a G-43....

My first question, is where do you find an extra complete bolt group? I mean G-41 parts are just about unobtanium....

Second is why in the world would you even want to fire such a rare gun? I mean a get taking it out, and putting a few rounds through it to see how it shoots....not that I would even do that...but shooting it more than that?

I won't ever shoot my G-43, not worth the risk to me...

I am still undecided about shooting with it - and actually undecided about acquiring it to begin with.

So I’d like to weigh the options and risks. If I can shoot it with an unmatched bolt group and proper loads and be, say, 95% certain of not damaging other original parts, it’s a risk I’d probably take in exchange for the enjoyment to be had.

As far as obtaining one, most of the parts of a bolt group are actually listed individually on EBay right now - granted at obscene prices. In my understanding, they crop up from time to time there and on other auction sites. There is also the possibility of obtaining certain reproduction parts to complete the group.

Shooting G-41

My experience with shooting a G 41 rifle was forty plus years ago. Got a nice all matching rifle I just had to try out. Had a bunch of original German service ammunition, all out of the same fifteen hundred round crate that I had been shooting in my bolt guns. So off to the range, sighted her in down range and let loose with about fifty rounds of military ball. All was well then while shooting I thought I saw a bird fly by, and then the rifle stopped working. Had to hand feed the rifle, and upon checking it over ,noted the cone off of the front of the gas system had been the" Bird "I saw fly down range. So there I was with a matching rifle now missing half of the cone from the gas system. As you all know this is a number matching part. Well needless to say I was upset. Hunted for hours looking in the grass of a hundred yards, nope never found that part. Shoot a G-41 , nope never again. LOL

Gill120, thank you for the example of something other than a part of the bolt group breaking while firing. Definitely more food for thought!

Out of curiosity, may I ask what became of the rifle? Do you still have it and did you replace the muzzle cone with an unmatched part?

There is a bolt group on Ebay right how - split up into 2-3 different auctions, but not cheap. Generally at least on G/K43's it is the flaps, firing pin, extractor or action cover that fail.

g-41

As I said, never found the missing piece. Used to check the grass every time I shot there. Yes I did find a new replacement part, it was of course not a matching numbered part to the rifle. Traded that rifle off years ago. Still have a G-41 but have never shot it, never will, too much to loose. Not worth breaking a part on a matching rifle. Regards Dave

Military Rifle Journal
Back