Third Party Press

93 Mauser action from Sarco

shortfal

Got a 93 Mauser action from Sarco for my 8 Kurz bolt gun build. Am wondering how the safety is suppose to work. All the way left is fire but from that position it will not go up or right. Looks like the sear does not hold the cocking piece back far enough ???
What is supposed to keep the bolt shroud from rotating? With the bolt back my shroud turns free. Looks like the front shaft of the safety has something to do with that.
I must need a replacement extractor mounting ring as mine does not hold the extractor well.
Looking for wisdom from the Mauser experts.
Receiver, floorplate, etc. is decent with no rust. Thinking I might find 93 Mauser stuff at the Creek?
TIA
Pete

Is the action matching? If so it maybe a trigger issue as you have surmised, possibly swapped from a different model Mauser. However if you swap around cocking pieces/safeties on these actions the caming interface between the safety and cocking piece can be an issue and often need to be slightly hand fit, or if I you happen to have access to a lot of them to try, simply swap around until one works. I am not super familiar with the 93 action but even later small rings do not have any means to lock the shroud in place like the familiar model 98 does, not even an issue, simply align it correctly as you install it in the receiver.

**** just re read the end of this, so the shroud flops to the side when the bolt is pulled back, hard to think about now without a small ring in front of me but you maybe right that the safety is incorrect. I have a couple small ring safeties you can have if you want to try a different one.

I discovered a loose K98 receiver of mine has a 5/16 crack below the thumb cut, it was bent roughly 1 deg upward here causing the crack. It was a fine line and cracked along the milling so it was hard to see, so I tapped it with a wrench and sure enough it won’t hold a ring for very long. I thought about maybe bobbing the action to a kurz length and doing an 8x33 like you are planning, so I’d be interested in hearing about your project.

yes I too would be interested in the out come of this project, the bolt head should be fine for the cartridge base diameter, I also assume the cartridge pressure would be acceptable, as most of these rifles have been converted to 308. My sticking point would be the magazine feed, I guess you plan on shortening the magazine well, making a new follower & spring

I probably would have gone with a rifle from the old west scrounger vs Sarco. When I lived in NJ , I used to drive up to the old building in Sterling, man that place had a smell to it. I used to spend hours in there, hanging out with smitty and glenn. but that was then, now I would not order anything from them, just based on my personal experiences.

Got a 93 Mauser action from Sarco for my 8 Kurz bolt gun build. Am wondering how the safety is suppose to work. All the way left is fire but from that position it will not go up or right. Looks like the sear does not hold the cocking piece back far enough ???

You are correct, the cocking piece is not far enough back. Either the sear is worn/bubba'd or the front face of the locking shoulder. Or maybe the shroud has not been screwed completely onto the bolt (press down the spring loaded retaining pin when twisting the shroud).

What is supposed to keep the bolt shroud from rotating? With the bolt back my shroud turns free. Looks like the front shaft of the safety has something to do with that.

The round cocking piece has a ridge with a locking shoulder at the bottom. The bolt shroud has a slot in the bottom to accept the cocking piece ridge. The locking shoulder which is underneath the cocking piece ridge should protrude from the bolt shroud. The protruding part locks into the groove in the receiver tang and keeps the shroud from rotating. See note above for proper assembly of bolt and shroud.

I must need a replacement extractor mounting ring as mine does not hold the extractor well.

eBay

project

I discovered a loose K98 receiver of mine has a 5/16 crack below the thumb cut, it was bent roughly 1 deg upward here causing the crack. It was a fine line and cracked along the milling so it was hard to see, so I tapped it with a wrench and sure enough it won’t hold a ring for very long. I thought about maybe bobbing the action to a kurz length and doing an 8x33 like you are planning, so I’d be interested in hearing about your project.

Kept seeing the 93 actions in Sarco ads. Not realizing they were not all that much shorter than 98's I got one for a long thought about 8 Kurz bolt gun. A PTR44 barrel came with a rec. I got from Recon some years back. It was to deep chambered to be usable in a 44. I turned the rear end down to about .650 leaving a flange, pressed a sleeve on it that's relieved for the flange and threaded for the 93 rec. Still need to get a stock and some scope mount bases and plug the gas hole.
Pete.

feeding

yes I too would be interested in the out come of this project, the bolt head should be fine for the cartridge base diameter, I also assume the cartridge pressure would be acceptable, as most of these rifles have been converted to 308. My sticking point would be the magazine feed, I guess you plan on shortening the magazine well, making a new follower & spring

I probably would have gone with a rifle from the old west scrounger vs Sarco. When I lived in NJ , I used to drive up to the old building in Sterling, man that place had a smell to it. I used to spend hours in there, hanging out with smitty and glenn. but that was then, now I would not order anything from them, just based on my personal experiences.

I will not know for sure till I sink the chamber to final HS but it looks like it might feed OK as is. If not I doubt I'd shorten the well. A spacer, shorter spring and follower would be a lot less work.
Pete

bolt issues

Is the action matching? If so it maybe a trigger issue as you have surmised, possibly swapped from a different model Mauser. However if you swap around cocking pieces/safeties on these actions the caming interface between the safety and cocking piece can be an issue and often need to be slightly hand fit, or if I you happen to have access to a lot of them to try, simply swap around until one works. I am not super familiar with the 93 action but even later small rings do not have any means to lock the shroud in place like the familiar model 98 does, not even an issue, simply align it correctly as you install it in the receiver.

**** just re read the end of this, so the shroud flops to the side when the bolt is pulled back, hard to think about now without a small ring in front of me but you maybe right that the safety is incorrect. I have a couple small ring safeties you can have if you want to try a different one.

I may have mis stated re the shroud. I'm probably thinking of how it must be aligned when putting the bolt back in after having it out of the rec.
Thanks for the safety offer. I might take you up on that after I mess with this thing some more.
Pete

Military Rifle Journal
Back