Third Party Press

Difference between HT and SC cans

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
Guys whats the difference if any between a turret can and single-claw scope can.

Thanks,
B.

Single Claw Can

What I got from this is that there are two sizes of cans. Small and large. The large cans are for LSR, High Turret, and Single Claw. The small cans are for Low Turret Ajack Scopes I believe. It has more to do with the letter/number font on the large cans. Smaller case letter suffix or smaller letter with oversized number font on the the Single Claw cans. Upper case letter on the Turret cans with same size numbers. LSR have places for accessories in the can. Not an easy question to answer at this point and be 100% certain.

Hopefully, someone else can add to this discussion.

Last edited:
Pictures

These pictures came from Nigromontanus comments to the thread below. This is my source. This is the best explanation I was ever able to find.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?9841-scope-can-dimensions&highlight=single+claw

The one with the smaller font letter was considered the Single Claw Can and the same size font letter/number was considered the High Turret Can. Both imprinted on the back side of the can with the JVB stamp.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 54
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 62
What I got from this is that there are two sizes of cans. Small and large. The large cans are for LSR, High Turret, and Single Claw. The small cans are for Low Turret Ajack Scopes I believe. It has more to do with the letter/number font on the large cans. Smaller case letter suffix or smaller letter with oversized number font on the the Single Claw cans. Upper case letter on the Turret cans with same size numbers. LSR have places for accessories in the can. Not an easy question to answer at this point and be 100% certain.

Hopefully, someone else can add to this discussion.

Nice try, but there are also some HT scopes, which fit in a small can. I have a dkl HT in small yellow can. What I have written in the mentioned thread is all there is to it, except that later SC scopes are found in unnumbered big yellow cans. I never found a stamped yellow can, I have some where the soldiers wrote or scratched data on the can.

Nice try, but there are also some HT scopes, which fit in a small can. I have a dkl HT in small yellow can. What I have written in the mentioned thread is all there is to it, except that later SC scopes are found in unnumbered big yellow cans. I never found a stamped yellow can, I have some where the soldiers wrote or scratched data on the can.

Yes of course. My list was not meant to be all inclusive. Just for example. Thanks.

So do you think all Single Claw cans that are numbered have this same number size and small capital letter font? So you think the other font with same size letter here is a Turret Can correct?

Correct. The can shown with letter A is also mine and is exactly the same type as the one with letter A shown in another recent thread.

... that being said, it could be theoretically possible that the other type is also for SC, but there is no proof, since AFAIK no complete set has been found yet. I am no gun expert, but I rather think that the gun number with suffix A goes with a ce rifle. But in this field there are better ones.

... that being said, it could be theoretically possible that the other type is also for SC, but there is no proof, since AFAIK no complete set has been found yet. I am no gun expert, but I rather think that the gun number with suffix A goes with a ce rifle. But in this field there are better ones.

OK, thanks. I wanted your opinion on this. I thought that this was possible as well. I had heard this thought about the large letter A in this case can from a couple of other collectors.

I have a 5 digit can with same font in my database, so I stick to my original theory

Attachments

• H024573full (2).jpg
    H024573full (2).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 30

Paul how can you be so sure no complete has been found yet . IMHO it would be better to say No complete set has been found yet that We Know of . There could very well be a set just not known to us . We are not all of the collecting community there are many collectors who do not participate at any of these forums . To often we think that we are the only collectors of these items , that is so far from the truth . Best Regards .

Military Rifle Journal
Back