Third Party Press

Question regarding Bolt Marking possibly Gew 98?

PJ1946

This straight bolt was fitted into a ce 43 K98K I just purchased. No number (possibly scrubbed) but the marking almost looks like an "L" or even a "D". I have a correct K98K bolt body on order but would like to ID this one for future use. I would think it is from a Gew 98 since the K98 was in a really hacked up sporterized Gew 98 stock but not sure. Any help is appreciated. Many Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3942.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_3942.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 40
The bolt almost assuredly came out of a pre-war or early war DWM (G98); the serial may offer a clue as to when (fonts & suffix)

Many thanks for the info. Just cleaning up the other bolt parts to see if any numbers. It may be a complete bolt or a mix of G98 and K98. Sadly the stock was really butchered with the butt stock sanded, but there may be some numbers on that. The K98 Barreled Receiver seem to be cleaning up well and I think will make a nice shooter. Bore seems pretty good so I think it is worth the save.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3937.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_3937.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 31
  • fullsizeoutput_3938.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_3938.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 24
  • fullsizeoutput_393d.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_393d.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 28
Interesting mix of parts on that rifle. The stock is actually a German modified vz24 stock, and then attempted to fit a K98 band on it.

Thanks, I was thinking along those lines due to the plugged sling mount. Thought Gew98 at first but then
keel mounted sling swivel in the wrong place and wrong type convinced me otherwise. Barrel Channel is stamped 9 33. I have the rifle sitting in an Israeli stock at present while I wait on the bolt handle and look around for a German stock, It is indeed a mix of parts but might make a nice shooter. Interesting the birds are peened but no RC "X".

Sounds like an Eastern European import. If you end up getting rid of the G98 bolt I could use one for a shooter project.

Military Rifle Journal
Back