Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1939 jp sauer

Default 1939 jp sauer

I have a question regarding this 1939 JP SAUER.
    Can anyone tell me why there is no markings on the barrel receiver end like on reference picture below? Is it true that there a two types in that Year where Some had no markings on receiver? This one has markings and is apparently all matching.

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Yours looks spot on to me. Care to post more photos?
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Because the barrel in the picture is an armorer spare barrel that replaced the original barrel....note the 0,2 on the barrel shank, this indicates replacementry barrel....

And remember, just because something is pictured in Backbone doesn't mean they are all like that. The data sheets are notoriously wrong...so never assume a rifle is wrong because it doesn't match the data sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    ..just because something is pictured in Backbone doesn't mean they are all like that.
    Great point! Reminds me of one of our favorite old coots using some 60 year old photos to 'authenticate' his rifle. The data sheets and trend work in the bible are both extensive and pretty encompassing. I doubt you could ever capture every possible combo but they did excellent work.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    Because the barrel in the picture is an armorer spare barrel that replaced the original barrel....note the 0,2 on the barrel shank, this indicates replacementry barrel....

And remember, just because something is pictured in Backbone doesn't mean they are all like that. The data sheets are notoriously wrong...so never assume a rifle is wrong because it doesn't match the data sheets.
    That's correct!

@Volks
    The barrel of your rifle has also markings, they are just hidden under the woodline.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57IS View Post
    The barrel of your rifle has also markings, they are just hidden under the woodline.
    Sauer is weird like that. Sometimes you can't see anything. I'm betting it's a house barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Sauer is weird like that. Sometimes you can't see anything. I'm betting it's a house barrel.
    Either a Sauer & Sohn (Script "S") or Haenel (Sütterlin "S") barrel, both are common.

Great thanks all.

One more question. What would this rifle be actually worth if it was to be for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Volks View Post
    One more question. What would this rifle be actually worth if it was to be for sale?

Meh, prices in Oz are a lot different than prices here...Vulch could probably give you the best what its worth.... @vulch