Third Party Press

German-modified Dutch M1895 rifle bayonet

Pat

Staff member
I've been looking for one of these, but every one I found had an issue or two. This is the rifle version of the bayonet, but shortened by the Germans per a 1942 directive. The blade has been reduced to 280mm, with the scabbard accordingly shortened. Instead of the original tapered leather and wire loop closure for the scabbard tip, the Germans cut short the end, then rounded it off and closed it with a running stitch. There is a number stamped into the rear of the scabbard but I don't have any idea what it refers to or who put it there.

Pat

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_349.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_349.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 43
  • newnnhPZQtuRFUKkJqvr2A.jpg
    newnnhPZQtuRFUKkJqvr2A.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 5SOboplOTpOQ6+u%End5hw.jpg
    5SOboplOTpOQ6+u%End5hw.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 33
  • RKvYi2zPRqaSCSlXq9NNPw.jpg
    RKvYi2zPRqaSCSlXq9NNPw.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 37
  • h0BgqO1eQkit3Iy3u+EgTg.jpg
    h0BgqO1eQkit3Iy3u+EgTg.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 31
  • NOMU1+0CTna5M6cdMIxaJg.jpg
    NOMU1+0CTna5M6cdMIxaJg.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 33
!

Very interesting bayonet! Have heard of these bayonets, but never found one. The original unmodified pop up from time to time, so I quess the Germans used the full lenght also.

Very interesting bayonet! Have heard of these bayonets, but never found one. The original unmodified pop up from time to time, so I quess the Germans used the full lenght also.

I'm sure they did, just like the French bayonets. These aren't terribly uncommon in the USA, but they're not always in nice condition.

There is a number stamped into the rear of the scabbard but I don't have any idea what it refers to or who put it there.

Dutch. Very typical to find these with one or more numbers on the back (probably rifle SNs).

Nice rifle bayonet. Now just try to find the carbine version....

Yeah, I have the rifle version of the bayonet too but don’t have the booty rifle for it, but I have the booty carbine and no bayo. I don’t care though, it’s still cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I’ve seen as many as four separate numbers on the rear scabbard before, with none matching the actual bayonet. I had wondered if the scabbard numbers might have been originally matched to the rifle/carbine serial number, but only part of the time do I see the letter suffix after the numbers. Most of the time it’s just the numbers.

Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think the Dutch stock of bayonets were well used before the Germans get their hands on it! Have had the same problems to find a nice one. Here is mine with 3 different serialnumbers. Both pieces in pictures were brought to Norway during WW2.
I have Belgian, Dutch, Polish, and Czechoslovakian bayonets captured and used by the Germans, but none French. Do they rebuildt those also, or used them unaltered?

Attachments

• IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
...I've never seen a demonstrably German modified Model 1892 Berthier bayonet, nor have I heard or seen any directives that address those./QUOTE]

Only one I saw had some minor mods to the scabbard...maybe a German pattern throat retaining screw and/or the hang bar was altered (was many years ago). I owned the bayonet for awhile and let a friend have it whom had a very extensive collection of just about anything with an edge on it.

Now that you mention the modified hang bar, I think I recall Craig Brown mentioning something similar that he owned. I think it was on Gunboards, so I'll have to try and find that.

Best,
Pat

Military Rifle Journal
Back