Third Party Press

Thread: Interesting 98m barrel

Default Interesting 98m barrel

Literally just a barrel haha. Picked this up on epay and thought it was pretty interesting. I was going to use it on a 98m shooter build up. Late Simson 98b rear sight parts I do believe, and interesting Sauer and Erma slide components.

That crown marking on the rear sight base is typical of S28 rifles.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

That was one aspect that caught my attention, I was wondering about that, mine had the same crown. would the barrel proof be correct for an S28? I suppose the “late” Simson parts would fit in the S28 time frame too.

Mike is 100% on this, though it is probably off a pre-S28 build. The S28 began with Oberspree receivers, including Oberspree/1919's, though intermingled with DWM/18's also. According to trends, this barrel probably came off a DWM/18 receiver, - the first true S28's do not begin until much later, though before the a-block.

Now they are all the same, only distinction is some of the characteristics, - but they all share key features that link them together. Though these earliest rifles do not, so far as can be confirmed, carry the S28 under the receiver.