Third Party Press

Help have'nt seen this one on the site

Wow, that is an incredibly nice rifle!! Not only is it a very interesting combination, but the condition is also great!

Value on such a rifle is pretty difficult because is does not follow many set in stone maker patterns, reclaimed and handstamped parts open up the possibility for a wide area of collector interest especially seeing how many areas of potential interests this one DOES cover. You will get an idea of value from the offers you are getting, rest assured many stand up members here will definitely offer a true value for it, just wait it out and you will be able to tell the low ballers in due time :laugh:

What an amazing rifle, thank you so much for sharing. Definitely something to be proud of, especially as you stated, you “just picked the one with matching numbers.”

Yeah always ask fellas! There are so many variations and possibilities with K98’s, I feel like there is always something to learn. One of our members passed on an SwjXE because he thought it was Israeli or something.

If its Sterngewehr marked as well using a Danzig receiver. Don't think I have ever heard of Sterngewehr Gew98 using a Danzig receiver before. Be very curious what Paul has too say about this one.

And as others have stated a very neat rifle and congrats too you sir.

So far I think it is good, but these are heavily faked and most known are frauds to one degree or another. This is a much rarer variation than normal handstamps.

As for a former sterngewehr, absolutely not... Danzig did make sterngewehrs in large numbers, but this isn't one.

If its Sterngewehr marked as well using a Danzig receiver. Don't think I have ever heard of Sterngewehr Gew98 using a Danzig receiver before. Be very curious what Paul has too say about this one.

So far I think it is good, but these are heavily faked and most known are frauds to one degree or another. This is a much rarer variation than normal handstamps.

As for a former sterngewehr, absolutely not... Danzig did make sterngewehrs in large numbers, but this isn't one.

Any idea what the star marking on the receiver means Paul? And thank you for the clarification on my question.

Hard to say, no other bnz/SR handstamp possesses such a asterisk mark. It is the highest serial known, assuming they serialed sequentially without rolling over or duplicated serials. This rifle is different in other ways too, small things like the SR over bnz, which is uncommon (but seen before- for some reason they didn't want to counterstamp over the original markings, which is strange but typical of the variation).

Are those hardness test spots on the receiver? Over the star and under the B in BNZ? Checking to make sure its hard enough?

Since you asked on the value, you should take the price for an original all matching Single Rune marked K98k rifle and add premium for the rarer Gew98 receiver. I do not know a lot on the prices in the US, but I would guess the value definititely exceeds $ 3000.

I have posted pictures of a Vz.24 receiver which was handstamped "bnz" and single rune here: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?24210-bnz-4-Rune-Found-At-LGS&p=170193&viewfull=1#post170193
And one post lower I also posted pictures of a Gew98 receiver recycled by Steyr: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?24210-bnz-4-Rune-Found-At-LGS&p=170194&viewfull=1#post170194

You might want to compare your action with those - also in the same thread there are some other rare handstamped Steyr actions to be seen.

I dug out some more old pictures, S/237 from 1937 coded receiver, hand stamped bnz and single rune rifle. Note the Steyr barrel too!

Attachments

• D969C4BA-6A02-4CF3-9CE6-C3809EBC9AF2.jpg
    D969C4BA-6A02-4CF3-9CE6-C3809EBC9AF2.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 77
  • EACAD22E-754D-4317-80CE-EBC97425B80D.jpg
    EACAD22E-754D-4317-80CE-EBC97425B80D.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 816E5172-25D9-4A3B-92F3-A9DFC4379328.jpg
    816E5172-25D9-4A3B-92F3-A9DFC4379328.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 67
I dug out some more old pictures, S/237 from 1937 coded receiver, hand stamped bnz and single rune rifle. Note the Steyr barrel too!

Great pics Georg From your personal collection!? either way for being road hard put up wet! The Receiver and handstamped BNZ code make up for it!!!! Thank you Gage!

Military Rifle Journal
Back