Third Party Press

Gew 98 with Nazi firing proof

Scotthw

Hello all I purchased this 1904 Danzig Gew 98 and noticed some odd stampings on the barrel and stock. I noticed first the eagle firing proof on the barrel. The eagle looked unusual to me and I noticed the rear sight was an original Lange sight. Up close the eagle does not appear to be recently stamped, but I'm certainly not an expert. Just wondering if anyone has any information on these markings.

image.jpg
image.jpg

After doing some research I noticed some other rifles to have the same style firing proof, one of which is a converted Gew98.

image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally, I noticed a strange marking on the stock. Unsure if it is an "H" or an "I". Wondering if anyone has seen a similar marking. Thanks for looking!

Maybe you could do more pictures of the rifle itself? it would be incredibly helpful to see the rifle you have, rather than similarly marked examples.

The fireproof is typical of a wartime ordnance depot (WWII), the who and when would depend on many other factors, the barrel markings, the rearsight markings, potentially the receiver markings. But most of all, stock markings, if these parts are original to the rifle they would offer your best clues to an origin.

Try to do more pictures of the Danzig/04.

Military Rifle Journal
Back