Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matching Phosphate Finish BCD 4

Nice, untouched bcd 4! I think that motif on the butt is middle Eastern. It looks like art, not a stencil or stamp. This one likely spent considerable time in the sandbox, where it was carried and used but little..
    Wanted: K98 Dou-42 bolt 5235b, and Port. bayonet G19383

They did have a nasty case of river piracy immediately after the the First World War, the AEF had their supplies raided several times and pressed for action on the river (not to the Germans, who were powerless to stop them, from recollection they pressed the Belgians to take action as that stretch of the river was in their zone...). Further river piracy (including duties and tolls levied upon all trade prior to German unification,every jurisdiction had their own taxes before a series of agreements regulated a more commerce friendly enviroment) was a serious problem well into the early 19th century. Germany was Europe's plaything before Prussia settled the issue in a series of confrontations (with Austria and France, both of whom deserve little sympathy when it came to the retribution that came their way in the late 19th century - not that Prussia was any better. Everyone, most especially Germans, would have been better off if self-determination and open plebiscites were given to each German state and all ethnic groups in central Europe, - not carved up at Versailles as loot to Germany's neighbors)

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    I agree, great rifle, awesome look to it, and a great deal...congrats on the pickup!

I also think the marking is post war....don't think the Germans have much of a pirate culture, and it looks somewhat new...I would leave it for now, but if it is proven to be not German applied, I'd remove it, but that's just me....

Thanks guys!

I agree that the motif on the stock is probably post war. It looks ďolderĒ but I figured if it was wartime or immediate post war, the paint would look more worn/crackled. Iíll keep an eye out if I can find any units that may have had something similar. Iíll probably keep it on there for the time being.

Is there any gun oil/solvents I should keep away from the rifle? Iíd just like to lightly swab down the metal parts and Iím not sure if any of the stuff I have would react poorly with the phosphate finish. The only stuff I usually use is CLP, Kroil, Hoppeís #9 and Ballistol.

The bore is excellent but I doubt Iíll ever shoot this one. Iíve already got a couple shooter K98kís.

Question Barrel codes?

Loewe is that a ce barrel? That looks like the same damaged acceptance that was used on my late ce/44.

Yes, JPS, common for this range (both for Gustloff assembles and JPS assembles of bcd/4 receivers)

** impossible for it to be Ruhrstahl or FN with what is shown, regardless of waffenamt.

Great looking rifle! The phosphate on these late bcd rifles is so appealing to the eye. You did great for what you paid.