Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kar 98 AZ Police Sniper

Proof marking is the standard Prussian eagle as one would expect on a Danzig produced rifle.

I agree with the no-shoot theory, there is not enough material left after milling out a dovetail on a 98a receiver to maintain a safety margin.

I agree, I doubt the D/K represents a connection to Denmark, there is at least one other example known and it wasn't in Denmark or had an obvious Dane connection. This other rifle was scantily shown also, so not a lot is known about it, but it was property marked (1920) so there is an excellent chance this marking had something to do with the interwar (Republican era) period, which typically means police.

Until more of these are identified and trended little can be said about the marking, what is needed is the discovery of a fairly original rifle and its thorough examination. The discovery of one with an original stock would be best, but examination of the barrel could offer clues to a police connection (not always though).

As for the fireproof, it is typical Danzig style (latter period, 1917-1918), the receiver is Danzig/1918.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsne View Post
    Hello Amberg

The Rifle is bought in Denmark
    National letters for Denmark is DK
    But i dont think it had something to do
    With that.

By the way, the proof mark in front of serialnumber
    Look Polish to me?
    Or am I wrong?

hi all

Even that I dicided to pass this rifle.

I could ask the seller if it is posible to
    Let me take it apart and make a photo
    Dokumentation
    Will any of you guys will be interestet in that?

Jsne
    Last edited by Jsne; 09-16-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Any additional photos would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Wolfgang

Helo Amberg and others

I have talk to the seller
    He said ok to let me take the rifle apart
    An take pictures of all markings
    So I wil do so.
    In return He and I want to hear your opinion

If not interested pleace let me know.

Jsne

It is a given (a certainty) that if more pictures are provided collectors will offer further opinions. The important thing is good pictures of the barreled receiver (probably the original barrel, but it is possible to establish a police connection if the barrel was replaced), also further markings on the right side of the receiver could offer clues to this D/K marking, though the best chance of answers would be found on the stock if original (original to the application of the D/K)

Anyway, post further pictures of the matching components, especially the barreled receiver and stock, and I will answer questions in regards to it's nature (characteristics) as a Kar.98a and its potential republican era context.

The inquiry or examination of its "sniper" status or authenticity is outside my specialty, - basically these 98a with optics are generally discounted as fabrications, things put together after the fact, by sportsmen or humpers. But there are several in European museums (which is hardly comforting - like all museums they have as much garbage as authentic), one in a Czech museum I believe, we use to see these occasionally... either on auction or on the forums, most were discredited in one way or another.

Thank you Loewe

I shal do my best to discover any markings on this rifle

Jsne