Third Party Press

Thread: 1903 Springfield collectors book

Default 1903 Springfield collectors book

Iím looking Into buying a nice original 1903 Springfield but I want to learn more before I venture into buying one. I donít want a tempered one.

Does anyone know of a good collectors book that they can recommend? I found this but again Iím not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the classic tome on 1903's, highly recommended!

I would also recommend the "For Collectors Only" volume on the 1903, as it identifies all parts and their variants, very helpful.

Of course there is also Bruce Canfields book which is very good...

Quote Originally Posted by Volks View Post
    Iím looking Into buying a nice original 1903 Springfield but I want to learn more before I venture into buying one. I donít want a tempered one.

Does anyone know of a good collectors book that they can recommend? I found this but again Iím not sure.

That was the book I bought. If you want details I donít think there is a book on 1903ís that would have more.

Volks, Brophy is my M1903 book. It's arranged in a scattered fashion but it's a classic. There has been some good information on the internets which is more updated and detailed, like:

http://www.m1903.com/qna_m1903/qna.php

http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html
    ďNot every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.Ē - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

It’s been my experience that books and sharing of information on 1903s is generally outdated and error prone. A select few have researched archives etc and have extensive knowledge and for the most part, unlike Bruce and Mike, have chosen to keep it to themselves. (Hence the generally weak 1903 market and no apparent predictable prices when compared with 98k’s). If you ever buy an 03 and post it on a forum the disinformation and disagreements are laughable. I know a few guys whose opinions I respect and generally they don’t even agree with each other on things that we in the 98k world would consider basic. Anyway, just a word of caution.
    Last edited by Bigdibbs88; 09-13-2018 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks guys and hambone for your links.
    I have an a 1903a3 that in looking at. Can I post pictures in this thread for your opinion? Asking price $2500

Quote Originally Posted by Volks View Post
    Thanks guys and hambone for your links.
    I have an a 1903a3 that in looking at. Can I post pictures in this thread for your opinion? Asking price $2500

Holy crap, $2500 for a 1903a3?? It better be something super special for that money...that's seems way high for an 03a3...

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    Holy crap, $2500 for a 1903a3?? It better be something super special for that money...that's seems way high for an 03a3...
    I would have to second that price does seem high for an 03a3.