Third Party Press

barrel code dsh

Yes, it is uncommon, - it's Czech and its only found as ordnance spares (re-barrels), though it is possible they went by another identifier when supplied to Brno (Brno operated under a shield pattern for identifying barrel suppliers, similar to a pattern SDP used on some stand alone components, most are dot/13 shields, but dot/11 & dot/12 shields are known in ranges, like with SDP these shields probably represent other facilities within their corporation or system, - dsh barrels end by 1942, right around the time the first dot/11 and dot/12 barrels appear, very possibly one of these shield represent F. Janecek, Prague production)

Anyway, the presence of a dsh marked barrel is not a plus usually, they are less seen than most of the other barrel makers, but its presence means its been re-barreled and that is typically detrimental to value. The only exception is it is commonly found on Wehrkreis builds and they carry something of a premium to some collectors (if they are matching-original)

great, thanks very much for this information. I've been shown a GEW98 conversion with a dsh barrel all matching...is it possible that this could be an exception?
thanks a lot

On a G98 there is no doubt it is an ordnance replacement, so unless its is a Wehrkreis build in excellent condition it probably isn't going to be worth as much as an manufacturer original rifle. Ordnance worked rifles are very hit and miss, many do not like them (doubt on originality is often a key factor), some do specialize in them, but generally outside of the republican era (where factory original rifles are rare - if you collect interwar you kind of have to collect rifles that have been through an ordnance depot) they take a hit on value to most collectors.

thanks for the info....this one doesn't have leading XX's but barrel serial number is same as receiver with different font and a vertical WaA76 on the barrel.

I'm ploughing through the volumes enjoying taking my time so I am a bit behind the knowledge front...! just a thought, because this Gew98 barrel is an ordnance replacement would it have had the serial number stamped in to match the receiver or is this an after thought (post war fake etc)?

So I guess my question is do ordnance replacements parts have serial numbers stamped in.

Incidentally, this example has 3 WaA63 stamps on the right side and '02' on top
thanks a lot

I'm ploughing through the volumes enjoying taking my time so I am a bit behind the knowledge front...! just a thought, because this Gew98 barrel is an ordnance replacement would it have had the serial number stamped in to match the receiver or is this an after thought (post war fake etc)?

So I guess my question is do ordnance replacements parts have serial numbers stamped in.

Incidentally, this example has 3 WaA63 stamps on the right side and '02' on top
thanks a lot

I have seen them with, and without the s/n added to the replacement barrel. I have a 1939 M.O. rifle re-barreled with a 39 dated, 0,2 Czech spare and no s/n, no bore stamp on the barrel and a sight hood added. I would assume it might matter in what time frame the barrel was replaced. Earlier would have the s/n added and the bore dimension stamped at the top like the factory produced rifles. I would expect the font to be different on a replaced barrel s/n since it was not stamped at the same time as the receiver. Later, they didn't bother with the repeated s/n or the bore dimension stamp on factory rifles. Might also vary depending on the depot doing the work. Maybe others here can confirm or correct that assumption though.

Last edited:
Interesting Stan. Any chance that barrel was also a 'dsh' coded piece? If I'm putting this together correctly F. Janek Waffenfabrik made the barrel and MO finished it into an ordinance spare blank? It would had to have happened before the changeover in '39. Or do I have it reversed in the MO made the spare barrel and F. Janek finished/fitted it? Interesting in any case.

Fwiw there's a byf43 with a '41 dated 'dsh' spare barrel by F. Janek with multiple e/76 (at least 2 shown). Any chance they were doing the rebarrel work? Maybe under contract?

The barrel on mine is marked "D" rather than "dsh". As I recall, Paul replied on mine saying it was an alternate code also used by F. Janecek in Prague. My 0,2 marked replacement only has three WaA 76's after the barrel code. I would guess mine was replaced at some point in 1942 or later since it lacks the barrel s/n and the bore marking at the top of the barrel flange which seems consistent with the new factory production procedures at that point. Just a firing proof on the left side behind the rear sight. The OP's Gew 98 may fall under different parameters if rebuilt as a K98k with an ordnance spare barrel. In fact, I'm a bit confused on the three WaA 63's reference since he also mentioned the three WaA 76's like mine. I think he may be talking about a different rifle in that case.

Fwiw there's a byf43 with a '41 dated 'dsh' spare barrel by F. Janek with multiple e/76 (at least 2 shown). Any chance they were doing the rebarrel work? Maybe under contract?

I don't know if that's the case with F. Janecek doing the replacements themselves. I would think not, they provided finished spare barrels to the ordnance system, but I just looked through vol IIb and saw some unattributed depot reworks shown. Paul, and many others here would know better than me though. Also noticed on page 812 that stated what I thought was the case in replacement barrel marking s/n's being relaxed after 1941 per mfg. standards at the time.

Last edited:
great thanks a lot....the barrel code is dsh 7 40 Pi then there's one WaA76 next to this code and 3 WaA63 on right side below the sight. Theres also another tiny serial number on the underside of the barrel just behind the sight hood...its hard to make out looks like XXX STRA

Yes I wonder about what he posted regarding the 3 x e/63. Also some misinformation maybe regarding the firm itself. I'd seen in listed in several sources as F. Janek Waffenfabrik but the barrel code thread on GB has it as F. Janecek Gewehrfabrik listed under finishers. Both listed as being in Prague.

great thanks a lot....the barrel code is dsh 7 40 Pi then there's one WaA76 next to this code and 3 WaA63 on right side below the sight. Theres also another tiny serial number on the underside of the barrel just behind the sight hood...its hard to make out looks like XXX STRA

Hard to say without photos, but I think the three WaA 63's you're referring to may be on the rear sight collar, a separate piece from the barrel itself but often looks like all the same. Also the xxxSTRA could be some sort of lightly stamped import marking at that location. Just a guess though.

Without seeing the rifle or having a detailed description we can only speculate, largely based upon what we already know of have seen. There is no reason to believe this is a G98 barrel, I doubt dsh/Janecek would have made them, further they would be the finisher, not a blank supplier (usually they used Poldihütte, formerly A-H but later Czech after WWI, they probably supplied the vast majority of barrel material supplied to Czech based operations. The Reichswerke took over all of these operations and they tended to collaborate closely within that system).

Poldi is typically identified by the abbreviation "Pi", not by their ordnance codes (which their two facilities were assigned, - generally raw forging suppliers used abbreviations of their name, not ordnance codes, Ruhrstahl often an exception), much of this information should be in the books, Volume I & III anyway, it is still accurate.

Suppliers of steel using "D" or Dö would be Döhlen (Saxony, not Czech). Poldi nor Janecek would not have used "D" alone. Perhaps it was a partial code that I attributed to Poldi or dsh based upon other factors (waffenamt or trends)

Serialing the barrel varies, obviously time and facility would play a role, but again we are not talking about this rifle specifically (as there is no rifle information).

Without seeing the rifle or having a detailed description we can only speculate, largely based upon what we already know of have seen. There is no reason to believe this is a G98 barrel, I doubt dsh/Janecek would have made them, further they would be the finisher, not a blank supplier (usually they used Poldihütte, formerly A-H but later Czech after WWI, they probably supplied the vast majority of barrel material supplied to Czech based operations. The Reichswerke took over all of these operations and they tended to collaborate closely within that system).

Poldi is typically identified by the abbreviation "Pi", not by their ordnance codes (which their two facilities were assigned, - generally raw forging suppliers used abbreviations of their name, not ordnance codes, Ruhrstahl often an exception), much of this information should be in the books, Volume I & III anyway, it is still accurate.

Suppliers of steel using "D" or Dö would be Döhlen (Saxony, not Czech). Poldi nor Janecek would not have used "D" alone. Perhaps it was a partial code that I attributed to Poldi or dsh based upon other factors (waffenamt or trends)

Serialing the barrel varies, obviously time and facility would play a role, but again we are not talking about this rifle specifically (as there is no rifle information).

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread...el-on-42-code-1939-K98&highlight=czech+barrel
Thanks Paul. I found the old thread on my barrel code question. Perhaps not relevant to this rifle as I thought.

Military Rifle Journal
Back