Third Party Press

New to me Gewehr 88 from Empire Arms

A few corrections . S is not a bore size . The 05 conversion is not for the S ammo [ there are a very few original non-Turk 05 rifles with NO S stamp and a rear sight with no grinding and still sighted for P-88 ammo ] , just for the stripper clip ammo pack . The Czechs never made any .318 barrels for the Turks . The Czech's supplied several barrel types to the Turks , NOS German barrels of .321 or .323 , new made .323 barrels for 88's and .323 model 93 barrels that the Turks turned down to fit 88's . The small bore Czech made barrels when to South America and were made to the old civilian specs of .316 +/- , never to Turkey . Lowe made ALL of their Gew88's in under 14 months , very early in the production of 88's , so Yes all of their original barrels are the early .321 thin type . To answer the original question about shooting , any US made ammo with a .321 dia bullet is fine in the original barrel rifles and will shoot well . It is in the later German .323+ barrels that it does not shoot well .
+1. Czech barrels are found on S.A. imports.

Turk , Yugo and Romanian ammo are three totally different 8mm loads . The 154 Turk is an exact copy of German original S ammo , ammo that was designed to be fired in the Gew-88 , and the Germans fired a ton of it in WWI with no problems . Yes it is hot , and it is up to you if you want to fire it in a 130 year old rifle . The Romanian is a .321 dia boat tail loaded mild , about 2600 fps and is perfectly safe in any German or Turk Gew-88 . Yugo is a 198 btspr that is a copy of the German Ss ammo that was never designed to be fired in a Gew-88 . What would Darwin say about that ?

not sure what site, but someone said if you give out advice and someone hurts themselves, you could be liable to civil action in court
We are talking about 130 plus year rifles with questionable metallurgy, same train of thought would be tell someone they can use standard 30'06 in early serial number Springfields with questionable metallurgy because those rounds were made for that rifle
I do not shoot collectible firearms period

This observation I share completely, - I do not know what Darwin would say (actually Herbert Spencer is the author of survival of the fittest - and what he said or meant has been grossly distorted by modern academics), however it would be the height of stupidity to take internet advice at face value, especially when shooting safety is being opinionated over.

Do not base the safety of shooting a G88 by what has been said here.

not sure what site, but someone said if you give out advice and someone hurts themselves, you could be liable to civil action in court

that' is what I meant, see the post above

commercial Winchester & Remington .321 soft point, its to be used in all questionable strength actions whether its Gew 88's Chinese & Turkish 88 and 98 copies or later Spanish 98 mausers

In a Gew88 I go one step further and only hand load with flat nose projectiles. Due to the fact that the Gew88 extractor only grabs the cartridge rim on total closure of the bolt, it is possible to pick up a second round while already having one in the chamber from previously pushing the bolt forward on full mag by accident. The pointed bullet tip of the second round will happily dent the primer of the first round. You will most likely not live to tell the tale.

Mauser used the Gew88 to study how to not design a rifle.

this observation i share completely, - i do not know what darwin would say (actually herbert spencer is the author of survival of the fittest - and what he said or meant has been grossly distorted by modern academics), however it would be the height of stupidity to take internet advice at face value, especially when shooting safety is being opinionated over.

Do not base the safety of shooting a g88 by what has been said here.

This site does not monitor nor check nor vet ammunition and shooting discussions. This is a collector site for accumulating and sharing data on collecting. You load cartridges and shoot these rifles at your own risk, particularly something that is an antique, i.e. A 1888 commission rifle not designed to fire modern cartridges. I would not trust a cookie recipe given out on an internet forum, much less loading data for cartridges. This is a collecting site, not a shooting or hand loading site, and we are not responsible for the information posted by the users here in any event.

Military Rifle Journal
Back