Third Party Press

Anybody know anything about this stamp on bayonet?

racerlee

I'm not very informative on K98k bayonets. Just looking around and found this one. Just wanted to have some information on this. Screenshot_2018-09-21-12-32-44.jpg

Last edited:
Königlich Gewehrfabrik or Royal Rifle Factory in Erfurt. A prolific producer of rifles as well as many edged weapons. The bayonet appears to be a First World War period S.84/98II. Erfurt produced that model from 1915 - '17. Some were also finished from blade blanks provided by Gebrüder Heller and will have both maker's marks.

Königlich Gewehrfabrik or Royal Rifle Factory in Erfurt. A prolific producer of rifles as well as many edged weapons. The bayonet appears to be a First World War period S.84/98II. Erfurt produced that model from 1915 - '17. Some were also finished from blade blanks provided by Gebrüder Heller and will have both maker's marks.

Thank you Slash. I thought that it might be from WW1, just wasn't sure. From what I can see that the other side of the blade is blank. No other makers mark.

Are these bayonets rare or are they a common type?

S84/98nA date should be on spine, there are remains of nickeling on blade, so probably postwar used as a dress piece. These bayonets are not rare,second quantitative modell after S98/05 butcher bayonet probably by Germans in WW1.b.r.Andy

S84/98nA date should be on spine, there are remains of nickeling on blade, so probably postwar used as a dress piece. These bayonets are not rare,second quantitative modell after S98/05 butcher bayonet probably by Germans in WW1.b.r.Andy

Thanks Andy. For the information on this bayonet.

I have another bayonet that I been looking at. I think it might be post war. It has a slot cut in the handle and a six digit serial number on the blade, but no other markings at all. Any thoughts on this one.
s-l1600.jpg

Mostly german export S84/98 delivered post 1936 to Spain, some are 255xxx marked. should be cleaned a little and oiled, other possible marking is a scribed letter "o" on lower spine of blade near crossguard on place when the edge ends. By removing grips there could be WaA253 on tang.b.r.Andy

Mostly german export S84/98 delivered post 1936 to Spain, some are 255xxx marked. should be cleaned a little and oiled, other possible marking is a scribed letter "o" on lower spine of blade near crossguard on place when the edge ends. By removing grips there could be WaA253 on tang.b.r.Andy

Thanks Andy for the info. The information you provide seems right on. Never knew Germany exported bayonets to Spain. The owner said that the serial number is 255273. Yes it does need some cleaning. Not sure if I want to get a German bayonet that was exported to Spain. Just looking for one that isn't to expansive but will work with my K98k rifles.

Sorry for the contradiction, but in my knowledge "Erfurt" produced S 84/98 n.A. only in 1915.
Most of the parts were delivered by suppliers, like the mentioned "Gebr. Heller" and Herder / Solingen.
"Erfurt" was the first producer of S 84/98 n.A., early examples are without flashguard, with wooden grips like KS 98.
I don´t even know if there are any S 98/05 from Erfurt, later than 1915.

Military Rifle Journal
Back