Third Party Press

Sliding scope mount

patrone

Scope Mounts for Higher Power Scopes Cover Breech.
Preventing use of Stripper Clips.
I have developed and tested a NDT Stable Precision Sliding Scope Mount.
The mount slides forward freeing the breech ("loading Position") for inserting Stripper Clips.
Once loaded, the mount slides back to covering the breech for firing ("firing position").
It is also useful for variable adjustment of Eye Relief distance.[/U]
I was curious if anyone else using higher power scopes has an interest in such a device.
COMMENTS WELCOMED.

Added photo of my custom built Mauser-M48 8mm mounted on an "Archangel" polymer stock with adjustable butt and cheek rest.
Barrel is 3 point pillar mounted with Free Floated adjustable (tunable) front support. Scope is 6-26x50 FFP mil-dot Japanese optics.
Timney competition trigger set to 1.5 lbs.

In foreground is the interchangeable Sliding Scope Mount for use with original wooden stock & stripper clip feed ("patent-pending"). It mounts atop the scope base seen on the rifle and works with the wooden stock.
Two other photos show the prototype mounted on the M48 with slide in Loading & Firing positions.
New base mount is now used, making it stable..

Attachments

• IMG_20180923_094844201.jpg
    IMG_20180923_094844201.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20170501_105043216.jpg
    IMG_20170501_105043216.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20170501_105512116.jpg
    IMG_20170501_105512116.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Comments welcome, so I'll chip in that's a very high position above bore axis, but a clever idea. I can see the Archangel compensates for this ergonomically, though.

How does it hold zero with all that axial movement?

Jeff

Axial Zero Hold

The axial zero hold on prototypes were not good. We switched to the new mounting base bottom seen on Archangel and it holds very well.
It is made from a hardened steel guide with sliding blocks using tight tolerance ball bearing roller tracks. These are "Blocks for Precise Measuring" used in the machining industry. Very tight tolerances and repeatibility are used in such applications. You are are right, the height above axis is rather high.
Of course, I'm a right handed shooter with bum right eye and actually shoot right using left eye. Looks funny when I shoot but it works. With my shooting right with left eye, high mount is actually an advantage but could be disallowed in some competitions.

Last edited:
Axial Movement

The axial stability is solid and the barrel longitudinal movement is stopped by the rail stop latch used to release and lock into position. The entire thing is NDT.

Military Rifle Journal
Back