Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on installing repro turret mounts

Default Tips on installing repro turret mounts

Hi folks,

Finally found a byf44 in good enough shape to use for a high turret sniper clone.

Has anyone any information or tips on properly installing a set of turrets?
    I want this to be a good representation but mainly a shooter. By no means am I ever going to even attempt to pass it off as real which is why i opted for split rings and not the solid, solder on type.

This is a sniper I am adding to my collection of sniper clones.
    Many of you have probably seen my Isreali SSR I completed a few years back on other sites. (Gunboards, canadian gunnutz)

Ive since added an M1D clone built on a winchester receiver, all wra parts with genuine barrel block, cheek pad and t37 with lyman alaskan.
    And No4T restoration. (Genuine 1943 no.4T, restored no32.mk1 scope, genuine pads and bracket, Not quite complete but close! Restoration thread on milsurps.com enfield knowledge library )

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Jon
    Last edited by Jonh172; 10-02-2018 at 02:00 PM.

No one has done an install who would could share a little insght as to how they proceeded? Or are my intentions so heinous they're making the group turn their heads in digust like theyre about to witness a car crash?

Would someone mind taking detailed pictures of their HT mounts to use as reference?
    Possibly even take measurements of their location? Perhaps a measurement of the back of turret to rear face of receiver ring and/or front of turret to front face of receiver ring etc?

Either post here or email me at jonh172@hotmail.com

As always any information is greatly appreciated!

Beavis the Cornholio mdarnell19's Avatar

The majority here are hard core collectors. So don't feel bad that you have not got any help. It's not because we are objected to shooters, it's that it is not our main focus.

Here are a some pictures I have. One is a real HT and another a fake LT build I did. Since you are in Canada, I don't know a gun smith there who can help. I do believe forum member Raupleminze is in Canada and he has several sniper builds. Perhaps he can help more. Also forum member Vaughan99 here does a lot of builds for people but he is in the US. Try contacting them for better information. Good luck and hope this helps.

byf i block High Turret (2).jpgbyf i block High Turret (6).jpgbyf i block High Turret (8).jpgFake Low Turret Sniper (2).jpgFake Low Turret Sniper (6).jpgFake Low Turret Sniper (7).jpg

Hello,

I have not done any of the turret install's myself. I had mine done by Vaughn99 (I live in the US not Canada as mentioned above). One was a ex HT sporter rescue and the other a Low Turret clone build. I am not sure if these pics help but they are both buried in the safe and I can't get any measurements. Hope this helps...

-Brian

I can't help you since I don't build these rifles, and most here are collectors too and therefore I assume not a lot of knowledge on how to properly make a rifle yourself.

If this might be of help, I recently bought a rifle which was converted to a faux sniper where both front and rear bases were only soldered in place - the screws in the bases were only present for cosmetical reason. It must have been enough for the previous owner to use it for shooting. Possibly you might also want to go this way.

I had a repro HT from a sporter also built by Vaugn for use as a shooter. I do recommend finding a competent gunsmith for High Turret installation as it requires extreme precision in placing the mounts after polishing the base then soldering them to the receiver. Failure to have proper placements means having an off center scope.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now we're talking, thanks so much everyone!
    Every picture helps!
    Some beautiful hardware here, real or fake!

I hadn't taken offense yet, when I saw no replies I realised this is a much more refined collectors group which is great! I certainly prefer to learn about the real ones over the fakes.

I am not new to building rifles so I will be tackling this myself and will post my progress for others informational purposes if wanting to build up a phony balogny of their own.

I have a good idea of how I will proceed, but theres always room to learn.

Keep the pictures coming!

Hi guys!

So the build has taken a new direction. The rifle I originally posted up top I sold because I couldn't drill an unaltered action.
    So, I found a decent Byf43 barreled action with 2 holes drilled at the rear right side for an old peep sight.

Given this is a clone in every way the holes don't bother me. I will plug them and call it good.

Now I am on the hunt for wood.

Was there a preference between which colour glue laminate stock was used? I have a lead on a nice red glue built by Ce and need confirmation this is correct for my repro?

Thanks guys and lets see more sniper pics!

Jon

Do you guys have contact info for Vaughn?

Use this Forum

Go to top and you'll see COMMUNTY click on that

Then Click on MEMBERS LIST

Then go to the letter "V"

and scroll down until you hit Vaughn 99 and once there click on it.

This should take you to where you can sent him a message thru this Forum. He's a very nice fellow.