Third Party Press

Bees wax/ grease: Lore or fact...

Bob in OHIO

So, did the Germans seal out the weather along the wood line with wax or grease. Here's one that shows what I recall seeing only three times in the past. I think the hasty collector, will just wipe this all out & away...

Attachments

• wax.grease.1.jpg
    wax.grease.1.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 147
  • wax.grease.2.jpg
    wax.grease.2.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 137
That's cool. I don't wipe it away and have it on a number of rifles under the woodline, and all issued and used. There are regs on the use of these to seal and protect.

I’ve posted at least 2/3 rifles on here with the same grease. A friend posted one not too far back as well. In my mind definitely period done, don’t know when or where though

There are regs on the use of these to seal and protect.

The gap between wood and metal (in German: Unfleiß) had to be sealed with Waffenfett.
Here you can see a WWI container with "Waffenfett 16":
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?1524-Tools-cleaning-kits-screwdrivers-ect #2

Attached photos shows the complete contents of a Reichswehr bag for rifle cleaning utilities. One of the tins still has some Waffenfett preserved.
With the introduction of the RG34 cleaning kits the soldiers only had some oil on hand. Have to look up regulations about sealing the "Unfleiß" after 1934.

Thanks
Wolfgang

Attachments

• RW_Tasche.jpg
    RW_Tasche.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 58
  • RW_Tasche_2.jpg
    RW_Tasche_2.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 60
It may be a fine line between grease and wax. RIG is actually more wax than grease. Something high in wax will last longer and stick to wood and metal better than most things, including grease. Many folks use wax to preserve their metal long term instead of grease.

I definitely have this on some of my rifles.

When people say do not over clean rifles, does that include removing this layer?

In another thread I have written more about this topic but I can't find it. In the thread Weapon lubrication and preservation in the Wehrmacht are some informations: Link

To spread the Unfleiß (area between barrel and stock) they have used Waffenfett TL 6006 - Gun grease TL 6006. It was used in normal and tropical conditions.

Supreme High Command of the German Army (Ch H Rüst u. BdE), January 26, 1942

Military Rifle Journal
Back