Third Party Press

Oddball CNX / ab43 rg34

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Picked this up at the Dallas gun show. It’s a salty dog, but I just couldn’t pass it up. I know about the dual code ab/cnx kits from reading old threads here, but this is different. Case lid has cmr43 finished with waffenamt, patch end is dual marked ab43 with CNX stamped over that. Anyone come across one like this before? The lids appear original to this can based on wear and patina, inside wire keepers look untouched. Paint matches exactly as well, it’s appears more blue than my other CNX kits.

39b8a43e66218ace70c41db5edf45c1a.jpg

8fd4c74c82765880580308a6788ac45a.jpg

6bb664e6f7362c2333a9d6dce520a98b.jpg

18e9b1a9be518c84a32b87163e7dcb26.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The color appears to be the same as on my ab43, so painted by Mundlos maybe. First CNX/ab43 I`ve seen. Thanks for posting.

Very interesting example. There is another researcher (and member here) who has theorized that Hawig as well as Mundlos stock/parts were sent to G. Appel for finishing in late 1944 or early '45. Your kit would seem to support that theory.

I like the CNX stamped over the ab43. Very unique piece. Congrats ....

Very interesting example. There is another researcher (and member here) who has theorized that Hawig as well as Mundlos stock/parts were sent to G. Appel for finishing in late 1944 or early '45. Your kit would seem to support that theory.

I like the CNX stamped over the ab43. Very unique piece. Congrats ....

Interesting info. Seems like it's quite a rare bird. Thanks for sharing this.

I know nothing about these, but does this combination indicate , according to the theory above, the cans were shipped in parts and assembled at the final manufacturer in this case cnx. Would seem to be the only way to get cmr and ab on one can...

I know nothing about these, but does this combination indicate , according to the theory above, the cans were shipped in parts and assembled at the final manufacturer in this case cnx. Would seem to be the only way to get cmr and ab on one can...

We may have to wait until the next book in the works, "Reinigungsgerat-34, The Late War Kits, Vol.III" comes out to know the answer....

Man, I hope they do write it, whoever you’re talking about which doesn’t involve me in any way.

Man, I hope they do write it, whoever you’re talking about which doesn’t involve me in any way.

It would certainly be an interesting book, and a perfect topic for one, its a relatively distinct item, but with a myriad of variants...I know there are certainly guys out there who know these inside and out like Slash and Amberg...I would buy it!

I'm a believer that both Mundlos (who got bombed out in Jan.45) and HAWIG sent stuff to G. Appel. One reason I think HAWIG did, you see very few cmr45 kits and there was plenty of war left. I've never looked at what else HAWIG made for the German military, but similar things happened late in the war where factories were repurposed due to other needs and dwindling resources, and 98k cleaning kits had to have been low on the totem pole. I do like the late war kits like this one (and others) but finding kits that are compete and original is difficult as hell, and late war kits seem to always be empty or filled back up with postwar chains/tools/oilers/brushes to the point that for casual collectors it's impossible to know if a kit is legit. I've collected these for a while but never really dug deep on them, just cared about the code on the can. Here lately I've been doing more digging for what is "right" and I'm getting a good handle on it. Kit prices are really up lately, a book would be nice but wait until I have all of the variants before you do it. [emoji23]

Dual-coded kits now is it...! When I first read the thread title, thought it was to do with tins having a different code (like arr4 & rco4) on each lid. Never heard nor seen an actual dual-coded (via overstamp) kit. Sehr interessant...

Last edited:
A very interesting kit! And a good discovery!

I am of the opinion that G. Appel assembled the CNX marked kits using leftover pieces from the companies Mundlos and Hawig. Observing some good examples, I have found similarities in the cans with both manufacturers.

I enclose an image of two CNX kits, the left one has the lids painted with a different color from the body of the can, no WaA20 present.

Antoni

Attachments

• CNXdual dolor.JPG
    CNXdual dolor.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 18
With respect to the connection between the Hawig and Mundlos companies, that is evident since both are the only companies that manufactured the cans with the reinforcement side grooves. If that connection was only technical or commercial also, it is not clear. I suspect that it was also commercial, as for example I have found many Mundlos manufactured chains inside Hawig kits.

Antoni

Hello!

Just unearthing an old topic here but the late kriegsmodell type "cnx" chain I have found came in an "ab43" kit, does that mean anything? Could this be the original layout?

Screenshot_20211204_110708.jpgScreenshot_20211204_110803.jpg

Not likely IMO, just mashed together from another kit. The oil bottle looks like the late type you see in cnx cans too.

Military Rifle Journal
Back