Third Party Press

Early Ajack on SSR non SS DG marked

Absolut

Thought I would share this scope since it is a rather uncommon variation to be found which finally made its way into my collection:

Very early Ajack scope which is not "SS Dienstglas" marked yet. Also note the scope mount is not made by Weihrauch (no HWZ nor Weihrauch marking!) but of the "Police/Köhler type" which is beveled between the rings.

Another interesting detail is the elevation turret, which sits 180 degrees turned on the scope. But since the traces of the rings and the elevation housing on the scope tube clearly show that they were installed in this way since 1945, I will leave it this way.

While it may have survived in rather poor condition, considering that it was found in a lake makes the condition it had survived in quite astonishing. Needless to say that the elevation adjustment is fully and easily working.

Attachments

• Ajack1.jpg
    Ajack1.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Ajack2.jpg
    Ajack2.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Ajack3.jpg
    Ajack3.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Ajack4.jpg
    Ajack4.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Ajack5.jpg
    Ajack5.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Ajack6.jpg
    Ajack6.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Ajack7.jpg
    Ajack7.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Ajack8.jpg
    Ajack8.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 86
That is a rare set, amazing condition for being found in a lake! Makes you wonder if the rifle also ended up in the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems in better condition then half the stuff that appears on most auction sites for being found in a lake haha.

Lakes are awesome at preserving stuff given the right conditions. Sometimes you get anoxic state in water or clay/mud.

Im guessing this was a deep cold lake? I would love to dive mountain lakes around WW2 sites. I can't imagine what could be in there still.

Very interesting Set , I have seen a few of the Scopes by themselves and actually own such a Scope , but I have never seen a Matching Scope & Mount set . Hard to think it was in a lake and remained in such good cond. Thanks for sharing this .
:thumbsup:

Well, my K98k with the Russian side mount also came from the mud/water and survived in - for this origin - nice condition, so not everything still coming from the water is garbage. I have no clue from which lake this particular scope came since I have not been told, but I agree that it is nice for this.

Anyway, to get back to the item: this one makes me now wonder what the exact timeline on the SSR scopes was. Would you all agree on the following sequence:

1. P. Köhler scope on the "Köhler type beveled SSR mount"
2. Ajack 4x90 scope non-"SS DG" engraved on the "Köhler type beveled SSR mount"
3. Hensoldt Dialytan scope (partially with SS markings) on the "HWZ" marked mount
4. Ajack 4x90 scope "SS DG" engraved on the "HWZ" marked mount
5. Ajack 4x90 scope "SS DG" engrave on the "Weihrauch" marked mount

Other question

Hello.
And which kind of scope where set on these ssr mount with 5 numbers ?
Regards

Attachments

• IMG_1877.JPG
    IMG_1877.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 60
Funny detail to use a picture of my type III SSR mount ... I was only speaking on the Police/SS SSR mounts in my post. But to get to your question:

My mount so far remains a bit of a mystery to me. Five digit rifle serial number would generally either mean a Standard Modell (were there ever Standard Modell rifles made with 82.xxx starting serial?) which was used by the SS, or a Wehrmacht issued SSR sniper based on a rifle which has 5 letter digits (Mauser, Gustloff, Brünn, .. ?).

Would be curious to know other opinions and guesses on it.

PS: this type III mount is NOT a reworked HWZ or Weihrauch mount - it doesn't have any markings below the locking lever. Bottom/inside of dovetail on bottom is marked "2" (at the very end) and "07" (at the beginning). There are no additional numbers nor markings on the outside, neither on the rings nor anything else.

Serial number

Same kind of mount existing in the 7xxxx serial range... with locking lever as well.

QUOTE=Absolut;248369]Funny detail to use a picture of my type III SSR mount ... I was only speaking on the Police/SS SSR mounts in my post. But to get to your question:

My mount so far remains a bit of a mystery to me. Five digit rifle serial number would generally either mean a Standard Modell (were there ever Standard Modell rifles made with 82.xxx starting serial?) which was used by the SS, or a Wehrmacht issued SSR sniper based on a rifle which has 5 letter digits (Mauser, Gustloff, Brünn, .. ?).

Would be curious to know other opinions and guesses on it.

PS: this type III mount is NOT a reworked HWZ or Weihrauch mount - it doesn't have any markings below the locking lever. Bottom/inside of dovetail on bottom is marked "2" (at the very end) and "07" (at the beginning). There are no additional numbers nor markings on the outside, neither on the rings nor anything else.[/QUOTE]

Would you all agree on the following sequence:

1. P. Köhler scope on the "Köhler type beveled SSR mount"
2. Ajack 4x90 scope non-"SS DG" engraved on the "Köhler type beveled SSR mount"
3. Hensoldt Dialytan scope (partially with SS markings) on the "HWZ" marked mount
4. Ajack 4x90 scope "SS DG" engraved on the "HWZ" marked mount
5. Ajack 4x90 scope "SS DG" engrave on the "Weihrauch" marked mount

Where do the donated/confiscated commercial scopes fit in?

Military Rifle Journal
Back