Third Party Press

German hat ID help needed?

mallard

Can anyone help me identify this hat and what would be a fair value to put on it for buyer and seller?

Attachments

• 42624710_10217468605854867_2026188871003275264_n.jpg
    42624710_10217468605854867_2026188871003275264_n.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 83
Enlisted m38 schiffschen. Standard German army field cap issued throughout the war but replaced by the m43 field cap. Appears to be original due to insignia but more pics would be nice. They range in price (condition matters) from $200-$400 typically.

Attachments

• german marching soldiers heer operation blue case summer 1942 russia front.jpg
    german marching soldiers heer operation blue case summer 1942 russia front.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Heer in Color.jpg
    Heer in Color.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 35
  • German prisoners.jpg
    German prisoners.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I would add, if the insignia is yellow, as it appears to me in the pic, it would be Kusten Artillerie....

But I think more pics are in order to determine authenticity and branch....

Thanks for the info! This is the only photo that I have been sent. The owner told me it is more of a green color hat and the eagle is a gold color, hard to believe, to me the hat really looks blue. If all works out I will hopefully get to see it today.
Thanks again!

Could be an early KM EM coastal artillery, which means it is worth a little less than a Heer EM. That eagle would be very white if it was Heer. Who is the maker?

Here are some better photos, the hat is definitely more of a green color and the eagle is a golden color and not white. It says Clemens Wagner in the hat, also 59 which I guess is size. The date looks like it reads 4 aug 1940 from what I can read.

Attachments

• _DSC5382a.jpg
    _DSC5382a.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 40
  • _DSC5383a.jpg
    _DSC5383a.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 48
KM coastal artillery as IB said. Nice shape, nice size, original, worth less than a comparable Heer. $250-400 (tops) as IB said.

Thanks for the help, I was able to work a deal and get it. It belonged to the great grandfather of the person that I got it from who fought at Normandy. Not much value I guess but it is a pretty cool hat. Thanks again for the help!

I disagree with the others. I would think a Kriegsmarine Coastal Marine would have more value than a standard Heer. Certainly less made than Heer. Don't be so quick to devalue it.
Ron

I disagree with the others. I would think a Kriegsmarine Coastal Marine would have more value than a standard Heer. Certainly less made than Heer. Don't be so quick to devalue it.
Ron

Slower movers for sure than a Heer. If one went by numbers produced that would be the case that the KM was worth more. However, if that was the criteria then a Finn M.39 would be worth several times more than a K98k.

I guess it depends what you want to collect.

That does apply. Not long ago I bought a mint condition large 59 KM Kustenartillerie overseas cap, early with the gold soutache (very hard to find) for $400 from a well known dealer where that hat had sat unsold for $450 for a year. Heer overseas caps with common combat arm soutaches (inf., art., signals) sold quickly for $600-750. A lime green pz.gr., pink pz., smoke or recon would be 10-30% more. A standard non-farbed Heer M.38 is going to sell quicker and for a little more IMHO.

Military Rifle Journal
Back