Third Party Press

Mauser questions: 1939 bring back

todd 015.jpgtodd 017.jpgtodd 018.jpgtodd 001.jpgtodd 002.jpgtodd 003.jpgtodd 004.jpgtodd 005.jpgtodd 008.jpgtodd 009.jpgtodd 010.jpgtodd 013.jpgIMG_2214.jpgIMG_2215.jpgIMG_2216.jpgIMG_2217.jpgIMG_2218.jpgIMG_2220.jpgIMG_2227.jpgHello folks, glad to have found this board.
I have a mauser rifle that my great great uncle brought back himself from the war. I will post pics this evening. It is very nice condition and every number on the gun matches. It is stamped 1939 and just above that it is stamped 337. I see proof mark symbol in many places. I can't find anything that resembles a s/n or model. Maybe i'm looking over it without knowing. original strap and front sight cover. I'm very curious what my gun would bring at auction. I have investigated the normal routes but find a huge margin of value for them so thought I'd ask you experts :) Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
cant wait to see it..

337 code is gustloff werke. 1939 is the year it was made. The serial # should be on the barrel and receiver on the left side next to the eagle holding the swaztica. All the little proofs are acceptance stamps for each part. These early guns are heavily proofed. Price is subjective to condition and if all the parts match. Please post the best photos you can for a proper evaluation.. Oh, the model is on the side as well.. It just says Mod 98..

Last edited:
Oh, the model is on the side as well.. It just says Mod 98..

I don't think the 337/1940s have the markings on the side rail. If this is a 337/1939, I would expect that it would lack the "Mod.98" as well.

Please post pictures!

you are correct..

I thought of that after I posted it.. I know steyr in 39/40 had some blank side rail guns maybe gustloff did as well.. I havent seen one in quite some time.

that's a relief

haha I've been looking everywhere! I'll take some photos of it in a little bit. just got home finally. thanks guys.

Pics are too small to see much detail, but it certainly has the "look". If you do some larger pics of all the major parts with numbers, you could get a more definite answer.

If all the parts match and the wood is unsanded, easily 2K+.

that certainly brightens my day

I will attempt to do some better pics. I tried to get in close and get the numbers etc.. my camera was just being hateful about that idea. maybe my phone camera will do it better lol. I will try. And thanks for your time helping me figure this out. I kinda thought that's what i'd hear, but I am a real amateur with these guns and could only go on what I was reading. which as you well know led me from 75 bucks to 4000 bucks haha. I was lost.

too bad

the pic's are crappy.. Try again. It takes practice. You might be better off using a photo site then just posting the link. But, what it shows if all matching and pictured well a rifle that could sell for far more than expected. I would go to bat at 3k easy. 337 39's are quite scarce.. Also try the macro/flower setting on the camera for close ups. Overalls show us nothing other than its a k98. so far so good. you struck pay dirt !!!

I'll chime in and say a matching 337 1939 is one of the rarest 98k's out there and commands a premium price. If you have one (your pics are really small and hard to tell) you have the beginning of a great collection!

When most people give valuation advice, it is often based on what they would be comfortable paying for the item and not always consistent with what the market would bear. Price for K98 rifles is based on rarity, originality, the number of matching parts, condition and the venue it is offered in.

Your rifle is extremely rare and if pictures bear it out to be what you describe it to be, it will be the first matching 337 1939 I've ever seen. It does not mean others are not out there, it just means that I have been collecting for several years and have never seen one. Originality is key. As others have said, you need to add better pictures, particularly of stock markings and serial numbers. From what I see so far, nothing jumps out at me as being wrong. It appears to be in solid very good condition.

Venue is important too. From experience, the rifles I see commanding the highest prices are run in on-line, no reserve auctions on sites like Gunbroker or Auctionarms. If you go this route, make sure your title has "K98" and "98K" in it and run it for two weeks. In the end, there will be a small fee to the Website (1-2%) and you'll need to send it to a licensed dealer or collector.

Taking this rifle to a local gun show, pawn shop or gun store would be a waste of your time. These rifles are a niche market and while many people know they are valuable in general, few can tell original from fake or rare from common. To limit risk, most dealers and show attendees will make low offers. Even if a dealer knows what it is they cannot offer full retail and make a profit. While you may meet a collector at a show, it is not likely they will be willing/capable to pay a high retail price. In short, if you go this route and ask a high amount, expect a lot of blank stares, some laughter and counter offers in the $100 to $2,000 range.

Once it is validated, listing it on the forum trader here is another good option. If original, this rifle would easily be worth $3,500 to $4,500. A 39 BSW, the predecessor to this rifle, recently went for $4,100 ( http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=248442715 ) and I have seen others. I believe the 337 is tougher and would command a higher price.

Finally, you will likely be getting a lot of PMs and e-mails from members looking to buy it directly. Some will offer a fair price and some will not. Keep in mind these people will be the same ones bidding if you offered it in auction so you will not lose much if you do not take their offer.

To recap, validate your rifle, take your time and if selling it is your goal, the auction is the route to go.

Last edited:
337 code 1939

This is one of the proverbial "holy grail" K98ks, along with S/243G, S/147K and 660-1939. Those along with 337-1939 are the four scarcest K98ks, likely next would be ax/ar41.

As for value, its up to the guy that buys it, but anyone that says 2K is kidding, try doubling that if all matching.

This is one of the proverbial "holy grail" K98ks, along with S/243G, S/147K and 660-1939. Those along with 337-1939 are the four scarcest K98ks, likely next would be ax/ar41.

As for value, its up to the guy that buys it, but anyone that says 2K is kidding, try doubling that if all matching.

You forgot to add S/27G.

I agree, the proverbial holy grail of sorts, to the right buyer. Your job would be finding that guy....or him finding you.

I have never seen one of these in my 15yrs of collecting , this is the 1st
and I have been waiting to see one and I will say seeing this ONE makes
it All Worth the WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best Regards
:thumbsup:

Holy grail list

My list is base on my 2nd collection of which I was about 8 codes short of the complete run, with those 4 being the most difficult.
I have seen more S/27G examples than the other 4.

Here's the breakdown in my experiences the last 25 years of spotting these rarities:

S/27G - 4, 3 matched and 1 MM
S/147K - 2 matched
660/1939 - 0 (K98k not G29o)
S/243G - 1 marginal example, partially matched
337/1939 1 matched cutdown not including this example
ax/ar41 - 1 mm

Also does not include RC examples.

Here's an auction that just ended to a close cousin, a 337 1940 date- this is a scarce gun as well, but note the low auction ending price (edit- this is nowhere near what it's worth):

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=255288705

I guess my point is auctions don't always yield true results even with rare guns, but we've had that discussion at length in the past

Bob- not sure how an swjXE compares to a 337 1939? I'd say swjXE is much rarer- 337 1939 production is at least 9500 rifles, and swjXE production is less than 500 at best.

Last edited:
dead horse...

Yes the old dead horse...:reposthorse: An auction doesnt mean you will always get top dollar. It does happen and can happen. But there is no way to know for sure. I much prefer, and most do here coming up with a price on our own and selling it here before going the gun-broker route. It's a last resort.
A great gun with a reasonable price will always sell fast here..The trader has been very active lately !!

My list is base on my 2nd collection of which I was about 8 codes short of the complete run, with those 4 being the most difficult.
I have seen more S/27G examples than the other 4.

Here's the breakdown in my experiences the last 25 years of spotting these rarities:

S/27G - 4, 3 matched and 1 MM
S/147K - 2 matched
660/1939 - 0 (K98k not G29o)
S/243G - 1 marginal example, partially matched
337/1939 1 matched cutdown not including this example
ax/ar41 - 1 mm

Also does not include RC examples.

I picked up an RC 660 1939 figuring I'd never find a "real" one. Used the same logic to get an ar41 as well (though this one's an odd bird that got barely any Russian treatment).

Military Rifle Journal
Back