Third Party Press

SS marked RG34

dot

Hi,

I acquired at ebay this arr42 kit that has also "interlocking SS runes" stamped on the lid. I have never seen this type of markings on weapons/equipment so I suspect that can be a fake markings, althought this work is very well done. I have seen many SS related fake markings on Rg34 kits, but all are easily identified as fakes.

About the can, it's the arr42 fine stamped variation without Waffenamt and regarding the inner content, all post war parts (Aluminium oiler, blued takedown tool,...). The can paint looks original to me, but it seems that after stamping the interlocking runes, someone has painted the chipped paint spots again (compare with the metal exposed spots at the right in the lid).

Searching, I have found in the WAF another kit (a tinned Ky1936/WaA265) with the same markings. No other example known by me.

Opinions are welcome.

Antoni

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 60
  • ssd.JPG
    ssd.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 51
  • ssc.JPG
    ssc.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 66
  • ssb.JPG
    ssb.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 81
  • ssa.JPG
    ssa.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 45
Not a marking I've seen before, but I don't see any real resemblance to SS runes. A makers logo is what I'd say more likely?

When i am correct this marking is cultural abzeichen von approved design of prof.K.Diebitsch,mostly visible on Offizier SS Swords, and means a approved design, so on RG34 i assume this is wrongly stamped, as visible on one laquered arr 1942 dated area there is not paint as damaged by stamping of the die, the first one has a WaA255 which is a accepted order of Army in 1936, prior to 1940 obtained SS devices out of army system. b.r.Andy

Last edited:
Definitely applied after the tin received its initial coat of paint, hence the chipped off paint chunks around the stamp which you don't see around the arr stamp. Then the tin was painted one more time with the present coat. Had this tin been discovered in the U.S. my bet would have been a Drago Kustom Rifles SS enhancement.

When i am correct this marking is cultural abzeichen von approved design of prof.K.Diebitsch,mostly visible on Offizier SS Swords, and means a approved design, so on RG34 i assume this is wrongly stamped, as visible on one laquered arr 1942 dated area there is not paint as damaged by stamping of the die, the first one has a WaA255 which is a accepted order of Army in 1936, prior to 1940 obtained SS devices out of army system. b.r.Andy

I agree with Andy on this. Questionable collectibles bearing the marking first began to appear (seemingly from nowhere) on a few behoerden S84/98 T3s in the mid-1980s. Marking is found on both the bayonet blade ricasso and scabbard finial ball. IMHO the culprit(s) behind these really went over the top when they decided to emulate a WaA acceptance by stamping the marking on the scabbard finial. I & fellow collectors referred to this as the (infamous) "clipped-box SS acceptance" marking. There never were a lot of these. Over the course of several years one would turn up at a large collector show (never from the same seller), for around $100. Of course a mint/matched mid-war "cof" or "asw" coded bayonet was a $50. item at the time. Also many guys weren't interested in a bayonet without any waffenamts. Once I observed a common extraseitengewehr with a lightly sharpened blade and in mediocre condition, which bore the "clipped box/SS" marking on the ricasso only. Can't recall ever seeing this on a RG34, but I am not surprised. Perhaps I last saw one of the bayonets almost 20 years ago. On the west coast one character must have got hold of a Mauser "banner" stamp (about the size of one's fingernail) as he was the only guy to have a number of holsters, slings, ammo pouches, etc. so marked on his tables full of militaria, for many years.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info ! no doubt a fantasy marking.

Does anyone know any original RG34 kit with markings related to the SS ?

Antoni

Military Rifle Journal
Back