Third Party Press

Do I have a DSM 34 or 36?

Biglou13

Just bought this today and the original owner says it's a DSM 36.

Could you let me know for sure and what manufacture year my serial number indicates?

Attachments

• 100_1040.jpg
    100_1040.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_1042.jpg
    100_1042.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_1043.jpg
    100_1043.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_1044.jpg
    100_1044.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_1045.jpg
    100_1045.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_1046.jpg
    100_1046.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_1047.jpg
    100_1047.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 62
That would be one of the last DSMs produced by this consortium, and thus rolled out in late 1935 or at latest in early 1936. The terms "DSM 34" and "DSM 36" were only relevant to the people at Mauser, as it referred to some design changes. The Suhl consortium who produced yours did not incorporate all of the changes to the design which Mauser referred to as "DSM 36" but it does appear to exhibit one of the later high-position extractors which were a part of that design change. You can find a lot of additional info in "Training Rifles of Third Reich Germany" and I can fix you up with a signed copy if you want.

The front band is not for a DSM. Has the stock been duffle-cut under the rear band, possibly? Nice late example, and thanks for sharing the photos.

Steve

photo 1.jpg

Thank-you for your information.

Much appreciated.

Louis

That would be one of the last DSMs produced by this consortium, and thus rolled out in late 1935 or at latest in early 1936. The terms "DSM 34" and "DSM 36" were only relevant to the people at Mauser, as it referred to some design changes. The Suhl consortium who produced yours did not incorporate all of the changes to the design which Mauser referred to as "DSM 36" but it does appear to exhibit one of the later high-position extractors which were a part of that design change. You can find a lot of additional info in "Training Rifles of Third Reich Germany" and I can fix you up with a signed copy if you want.

The front band is not for a DSM. Has the stock been duffle-cut under the rear band, possibly? Nice late example, and thanks for sharing the photos.

Steve

View attachment 188890

I don't have my 3rd Reich book handy at the moment, but looking over the pics, the stock appears to be a transitional model between the DSM (which the rifle definitely is because of the Deutches Sportsmodell on top of the barrel) and a KKW. The stock looks more KKW than DSM, although it doesnt have the bolt handle cutout. The front band looks to be missing the bayonet lug and the outer band that goes over the barrel top and fits snug over the bayo lug band. Yours is missing the clip that holds the front bands on (note the channel in the stock).

As mentioned above, the extractor is positioned higher up than a DSM-34, although the rest of the bolt and receiver looks like a DSM-34.

I am not an expert on DSM-36s so maybe someone with more details there can chime in.

Just looked again. There IS no front band on this. It appears that someone replaced the fore end of the stock (which was probably lost as a duffle cut) with the fore end of a K98k stock, and just cut off the bayo lug. That explains that. And, again, the Waffenstadt Suhl DSMs made after Mauser modified the design (to what they called the 36) did NOT include all of the design changes of that modification (mainly, the vent hole in left side of receiver).
Steve

Military Rifle Journal
Back