Third Party Press

Period Sniper Photo SAUER SSR or SS SSR ??????

Dave, is it just me or does the ocular look like it is screwed on out from the bell? I see an extra line there that I don't see on SS Ajack scopes (if this makes sense).

Close up of scope in picture
View attachment 188958

SS Scope
View attachment 188959

That would explain why the scope is set more forward in the rings as usual on SS scopes - it still sits at the right eye distance since the ocular housing is sitting more rearwards. Yet this doesn't make much sense.

The Ajack scope ocular lens housing could be unscrewed for 2 possible reasons:

You would expect the focus ring screw to be factory set af 12 O'clock position for someone with 20/20 vision, it is clearly offset to right. Perhaps the focus ring jammed and the sniper is achieving focus for his particular eyesight by unscrewing ocular housing.

Or

The original ocular housing got damaged and they have utilised the ocular housing from an Ajack 2.5 x 70 scope or similar. This will work on the Ajack 4 x 90 scope if the threads are relieved some on the 2.5 x 70 housing, it will then sit flush with tube as per original. If threads not relieved by machining in a lathe or manually with a file the eyepiece sticks out somewhat like the picture.

Last edited:
The original ocular housing got damaged and they have utilised the ocular housing from an Ajack 2.5 x 70 scope or similar. This will work on the Ajack 4 x 90 scope if the threads are relieved some on the 2.5 x 70 housing, it will then sit flush with tube as per original. If threads not relieved by machining in a lathe or manually with a file the eyepiece sticks out somewhat like the picture.

I think you have the explanation here. If you get a cracked ocular lens on an Ajack Scope it is a lot of trouble to get that lens repaired, because the glass is pressed in with the metal rolled over the opening. It is way easier to change out the rear bell. However, the threads are not all the same. I had this same discussion with a guy who repairs the glass on my scopes. In fact I got lucky when I fixed the rear lens on my Ajack by swapping out the rear bell on my Ajack High Turret Scope with the rear bell of a donor parts Ajack High Turret Scope that did not have a cracked ocular lens. I got lucky, because the threads were the same and it screwed flush with the tube. This is not always the case.

Would throw weight towards the idea that this scope is a hastily thrown together field repair SS Ajack Scope put on a Sauer SSR Rifle maybe. Would not have come from the factory like this with the rear bell unscrewed.

Last edited:
That would explain why the scope is set more forward in the rings as usual on SS scopes - it still sits at the right eye distance since the ocular housing is sitting more rearwards. Yet this doesn't make much sense.

Georg , IMO your explanation is as You yourself point out it makes no sense . I believe this next Picture will shed a bit more light and help prove and reinforce my suspicions and my observations/opinion that the Scope & Mount on First Photo is NOT an SS SSR with Dienstglas that was transferred and that is a SAUER SSR with Ajack 4x90 as I believe it is .

This new photo I am Posting shows another Sauer SSR with Ajack Scope as first photo . Did this Rifle also have an SS SSR Scope and or Scope & Mount transferred also . IMO thats Highly UnLikely and Ridiculous .

Georg made reference to Scope placement in one of his replies if you notice this photo shows same positioning of Scope in Mount .

I just added the complete Sniper Pic forgot earlier , If You look very close under dial You can make out what looks like Serial # and +
Maybe someone can enhance this part of the photo . I posted a photo showing this area of the Scope

Attachments

• sauerssr1.jpg
    sauerssr1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Scan 69.jpg
    Scan 69.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 1938 SSRTwo 015.jpg
    1938 SSRTwo 015.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Georg , IMO your explanation is as You yourself point out it makes no sense . I believe this next Picture will shed a bit more light and help prove and reinforce my suspicions and my observations/opinion that the Scope & Mount on First Photo is NOT an SS SSR with Dienstglas that was transferred and that is a SAUER SSR with Ajack 4x90 as I believe it is .

This new photo I am Posting shows another Sauer SSR with Ajack Scope as first photo . Did this Rifle also have an SS SSR Scope and or Scope & Mount transferred also . IMO thats Highly UnLikely and Ridiculous .

Georg made reference to Scope placement in one of his replies if you notice this photo shows same positioning of Scope in Mount .

I just added the complete Sniper Pic forgot earlier , If You look very close under dial You can make out what looks like Serial # and +
Maybe someone can enhance this part of the photo . I posted a photo showing this area of the Scope

Nice. I knew there had to be an Ace of Spades in the deck somewhere. I would say you are most likely correct!!!!!! I thought it possible you may have found a Sauer Ajack in a collection possibly, but this picture is even better. Nice work. Also, that guy in the photo kind of looks like you. That is a great pic.

I thought it best to give more Proof here is 2 Photos showing 2 Heer Snipers with Sniper Instructors . The photos will speak for themselves . You will see 1 Turret with Zeiss and one Rifle is out of view which You need to look carefully for . The ones You want to pay most attention too are the 3 Sauer SSR`s with 3 Scope Types 1 with Zeiss Zielvier , 1 with Ajack 4X90 with Focal Adjustment and 1 with Ajack 4x90 With Sunshade and No Focal Adjustment . But according to one Collector Sauer only used KAHLES & DKL Scopes . IMHO it impossible to dispute Period Photos .

Also Notice the Placement of Ajack Scope with Focal Adjustment in Mount as Georg pointed out in his earlier post.

Attachments

• grouping1.jpg
    grouping1.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 119
  • grouping.jpg
    grouping.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I thought it best to give more Proof here is 2 Photos showing 2 Heer Snipers with Sniper Instructors . The photos will speak for themselves . You will see 1 Turret with Zeiss and one Rifle is out of view which You need to look carefully for . The ones You want to pay most attention too are the 3 Sauer SSR`s with 3 Scope Types 1 with Zeiss Zielvier , 1 with Ajack 4X90 with Focal Adjustment and 1 with Ajack 4x90 With Sunshade and No Focal Adjustment . But according to one Collector Sauer only used KAHLES & DKL Scopes . IMHO it impossible to depute Period Photos .

Also Notice the Placement of Ajack Scope with Focal Adjustment in Mount as Georg pointed out in his earlier post.

Awesome pictures Dave. Thank you for posting.

Pretty difficult to argue with period photos, this one has a lot of cool stuff going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I should had remembered these pics since I had scanned them for you ... well, you now showed them anyway!

Edit: Dave, also remember that SS SSR mount usually the locking lever in the locked position faces about 30-45 degree upwards where as with Sauer SSR the locking lever in the maximum locked position faces nearly fully flat towards the front!

Hello
On these two examples, the locking lever on the sauer ssr mount does not faces flatt towards the front and the other one yes.....
Regards

Edit: Dave, also remember that SS SSR mount usually the locking lever in the locked position faces about 30-45 degree upwards where as with Sauer SSR the locking lever in the maximum locked position faces nearly fully flat towards the front![/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 15388274836368830689680651230218.jpg
    15388274836368830689680651230218.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 90
That is why I said usually, and I did say this only to point out this is a hint for a Sauer rifle. Just took out four non-SS SSR mounts for you to illustrate this. Top one is a large Weihrauch HWZ marked mount too, below it is the Ajack on SSR of which Dave recently had posted a pic (a 42.xxx serial btw and 1-8 marked elevation), followed by a Jägerspende Zielvier and a Czech made scope (elevation marked 100-800 if I remember correctly). I think I have four more non-SS SSR mounts which are mainly flat, including my Type III mount of which you had recently posted a pic of, which has the locking lever more or less totally flat in fixed position. While some are, it does not apply to all. But generally the very flat lever is hint for a late and therefore Sauer rifle, and not SS.

Attachments

• 6F774E02-D941-4AE8-8593-32B8951684D0.jpg
    6F774E02-D941-4AE8-8593-32B8951684D0.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 89
IMHO , I do not believe that the position of locking lever has anything in relation to whether a SSR Mount is either SS or Sauer or even the other . IMO the position has everything to do with the placement of the Inner Cut Out on the Lever that is in contact with the Stop Pin in the Mount and not which manufacturer it was supplied too . Look at the Levers not all are Exactly same Style/Size . I have compared many of these SSR Mounts and why one Lever is in one position as apposed to another and thats were I found the differences it was not the Mount . If You swap Levers between the 2 apposing Mounts the Levers still fall into same position when swapped , that why I believe the difference is in the Lever and not the MOUNT .

Here are 2 SS SSR Mounts both of these are in about 9:00Clock in Locked Position .

Attachments

• SS.jpg
    SS.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 67
  • SS1.jpg
    SS1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 70
IMHO , I do not believe that the position of locking lever has anything in relation to whether a SSR Mount is either SS or Sauer or even the other . IMO the position has everything to do with the placement of the Inner Cut Out on the Lever that is in contact with the Stop Pin in the Mount and not which manufacturer it was supplied too . Look at the Levers not all are Exactly same Style/Size . I have compared many of these SSR Mounts and why one Lever is in one position as apposed to another and thats were I found the differences it was not the Mount . If You swap Levers between the 2 apposing Mounts the Levers still fall into same position when swapped , that why I believe the difference is in the Lever and not the MOUNT .

Here are 2 SS SSR Mounts both of these are in about 9:00Clock in Locked Position .

Thanks Dave. You have opened my eyes to the details of another type of sniper and scope. Previously the only SSR I was really focusing on was the SS SSR. I guess there are so few Sauer SSR rifles available in known collections to me that it was almost like they did not exist. Of course I know they are out there, but I have not given this topic much time or thought. Thanks for pointing this out. Lots of interesting period photos out there.

Brian You are correct in regards to photos . When I started collecting I tried to learn as much as possible , but the biggest hurdle was knowing who was giving correct and factual info as apposed to flawed or not fact based . I decided the best way was to start collecting Period Photos as these gave Me only Fact Based Info and not info that was corrupted by a personal view or opinion . As to opening Your eyes that there is another SSR You now want thats why some refuse to give any info they only want to collect info for their own self interests and refuse to share . So I guess by bringing this info out I screwed myself now , You will be competing against me for a SSR . :googlie: Now I Did It , LOL!!!! :facepalm: Best Regards

Brian You are correct in regards to photos . When I started collecting I tried to learn as much as possible , but the biggest hurdle was knowing who was giving correct and factual info as apposed to flawed or not fact based . I decided the best way was to start collecting Period Photos as these gave Me only Fact Based Info and not info that was corrupted by a personal view or opinion . As to opening Your eyes that there is another SSR You now want thats why some refuse to give any info they only want to collect info for their own self interests and refuse to share . So I guess by bringing this info out I screwed myself now , You will be competing against me for a SSR . :googlie: Now I Did It , LOL!!!! :facepalm: Best Regards

Hello Dave. Not to worry.

Last edited:
Not Worried , Just Bust-in You . I know what You want more than SSR anyway :thumbsup: .

I thought it best to give more Proof here is 2 Photos showing 2 Heer Snipers with Sniper Instructors . The photos will speak for themselves . You will see 1 Turret with Zeiss and one Rifle is out of view which You need to look carefully for . The ones You want to pay most attention too are the 3 Sauer SSR`s with 3 Scope Types 1 with Zeiss Zielvier , 1 with Ajack 4X90 with Focal Adjustment and 1 with Ajack 4x90 With Sunshade and No Focal Adjustment . But according to one Collector Sauer only used KAHLES & DKL Scopes . IMHO it impossible to depute Period Photos .

Hi
very interesting subject
note: we must not forget that some civilian glasses were converted into a military version

Attachments

• dialy 019.jpg
    dialy 019.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 59

Military Rifle Journal
Back