Third Party Press

Period Sniper Photo SAUER SSR or SS SSR ??????

Hi
very interesting subject
note: we must not forget that some civilian glasses were converted into a military version

Without doubt there were Civilian refurbed Scope used on Sauer Rifles I have one such 100% matching Sauer SSR in my photo data base this particular SSR Sauer Rifles sports a Zeiss Zielvier that was at one time a Civilian Scope it also has the recoil bar attached to it. Best Regards.

How is your Mount Numbered and can You show Base Side of Rifle along with which code & year of Rifle ???? .

So we know that civilian scopes were purchased from the public (a mandatory buy back) to use on snipers. However, do we have anyway of knowing if a certain scopes was used at the factory? Are there any distinguishing marks to determine it's use on a rifle?

Scopes could break too. In the field you use what is at hand. Attached pictures show what once belonged to a friend of mine.

Attachments

• russ1.jpg
    russ1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 56
  • russ2.jpg
    russ2.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 67
  • russ3.jpg
    russ3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 66
  • russ4.jpg
    russ4.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 51
  • russ5.jpg
    russ5.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 47
  • russ6.jpg
    russ6.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 47
  • russ7.jpg
    russ7.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 56
  • russ8.jpg
    russ8.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 60
Scopes could break too. In the field you use what is at hand. Attached pictures show what once belonged to a friend of mine.

Georg
Is this Mount Numbered ?? If not how can you suggest that this set is Period Used Sniper Scope & Mount . IMHO it can not . Second repairs to Sniper Rifles were to be done at Depot .

It has a rifle number on it and he once confirmed this to me. But since it is sold, I'm unable to tell you the exact number. It anyway is an early mount, note the large Weihrauch logo.

Sauer SSR

I haven’t been on the forum in quite some time and found this thread on my favorite K98, the JPS. I had a matching Sauer SSR some years ago, purchased at the same time I acquired a Sauer HT. Unfortunately I sold the SSR about 12 years ago, before I joined this forum. I have no pictures of it but I do have my notes on it, which may be of interest....

The Sauer SSR was an early 1942 built rifle, all matching, including the scope mount. Serial # “546 d”. Army “H” marked stock. All parts matching numbered with about 75% finish remaining. Both top and bottom scope mounts were numbered to the rifle. Bottom mount was the early three hole type. Locking lever was angled up a bit when locked, not flat. Scope was marked ‘cad’. Good optics. Rifle seemed to be correct except for one thing, a single Weimar eagle stamped on the bottom scope mount. This one abnormally may call into question whether the rifle was legit or not, but that’s the way it was marked.

Wish I had pics and more info on the rifle. I’ve always enjoyed the forum and look forward to learning more about K98s!

ssr sauer

Hi
to complete this post
here is a very interesting picture

Attachments

• _DSC0331 (2).jpg
    _DSC0331 (2).jpg
    189 KB · Views: 88
picture ssr

another picture of sauer ssr

Attachments

• junckers a4 017 [hugo].JPG
    junckers a4 017 [hugo].JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 66
Hi
to complete this post
here is a very interesting picture

This is a well known photo showing a Sauer SSR with PreWar Ajack 6X Scope . (Sauer) Excellent and Interesting photos Thank You for posting these . Just a bit more proof that proves Sauer SSR did have other Scopes other than just Kahles H/4x60 or DKL as some believe . Best Regards .

This is a well known photo showing a Sauer SSR with PreWar Ajack 6X Scope . (Sauer) Excellent and Interesting photos Thank You for posting these . Just a bit more proof that proves Sauer SSR did have other Scopes other than just Kahles H/4x60 or DKL as some believe . Best Regards .

Hello Dave
That does not mean that sauer ssr were born with those other prewar scopes...
Best regards

Hello Dave
That does not mean that sauer ssr were born with those other prewar scopes...
Best regards

Ok , that is a legitimate statement but that does not prove that it was not born with that Ajack Scope either ??. In regards to the Pics showing Sauer SSR Zeiss Zielvier there are a number of period photos showing Zeiss Zielvier on Sauer SSR`s so IMO that proves that Zeiss was used along with Ajack 4X90`s with and without focal adjustment and also with and without sunshades . The main reason I started this thread was to disprove the assumption that Sauer only used Kahles or DKL scope on their SSR Rifles and I am pretty sure that the Period photos I have posted shows thats not the case . Best Regards .

Military Rifle Journal
Back