Third Party Press

Full-Auto FG-42: An Original 2nd Pattern at the Range

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Thought you guys like too see this! Really is amazing too see how controllable this rifle is compared too the later Cold War era made weapons.

Watching the slow-motion that opens the video reminded me of the pictures of the FG that was torture tested by the US army - the first thing that broke was the spent shell deflector - in the slow motion you see clearly the whack it takes.

My younger son sent me this link. Apparently it's up for auction. Great stuff

I’ve periodically seen type 2 FG42s come up for sale. Has anyone seen any type 1s go to auction? Would they bring even more money than the type 2?

Warrior, that's very cool. It seems like a very advanced piece of kit for sure. It's controllable because of that muzzle brake (which also creates a beachball sized muzzle blast which is probably blinding at night and it's straight line recoil, in addition to the recoil assembly in the butt. What really strikes me is how little the weapon flexes when fired. That should promote accuracy. By comparison, an AK-47 flops all about if you watch a video of one in slo mo. Here is the Vickers video:

By comparison, an AK-47 flops all about if you watch a video of one in slo mo.

Ham while I totally agree with your general consensus, the Polish made Tantal and Beryl rifless are manufactureed to a quality level that rivals our rifle manufacturing . I've found them to be tight, precise and accurate. AND they're making them in 5.56 So sorry Mother Russia

I love FG42s. You can really see how the mechanism, muzzle break and buffered stock reduce the recoil compared to the M14, G3, FAL etc. Ian sure makes it sound like this is absolutely the superior weapon There is one major flaw that puts it in a disadvantage to those rifles. The single shot accuracy of the FG42 will always lag behind those other rifles because of the design of the bolt/action.. Even though the rifle fires from closed bolt in semi-auto when you pull the trigger and release the sear the bolt carrier still jolts forward with considerable mass bringing the firing pin to strike the primer. This abrupt movement is enough to to make long range shots difficult and definitely decrease inherent accuracy compared to hammer fired rifles like those mentioned above. Something I wouldn’t have known until I fired the FG. I guess it’s a consequence of using a machine gun design (Lewis gun) at its core.

But still... love FG42s😊

Attachments

• 5F303A8B-50B2-49C8-B401-D1441548415E.jpeg
    5F303A8B-50B2-49C8-B401-D1441548415E.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 57

Military Rifle Journal
Back