Third Party Press

BSW KKW Rear Sight Issues

WreckTangle

Mad Dog 20/20 Connoisseur (RIP Brother 06-05-203)
Having some issues with the rear sight on a BSW KKW. Seems to be tilted to one side and subsequently doesn't line up correctly with the front sight. I'm not too familiar with the rear sight on a BSW KKW. I thought maybe it could be a bent pin, but it doesn't appear to have any pins holding the sight in place like a DSM34. I tried removing it per a k98 but no luck either. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing the issue? Pics attached.

Attachments

• BSW_KKW_SightIssue_R1.jpg
    BSW_KKW_SightIssue_R1.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 53
  • BSW_KKW_SightIssue_R2.jpg
    BSW_KKW_SightIssue_R2.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 52
Having some issues with the rear sight on a BSW KKW. Seems to be tilted to one side and subsequently doesn't line up correctly with the front sight. I'm not too familiar with the rear sight on a BSW KKW. I thought maybe it could be a bent pin, but it doesn't appear to have any pins holding the sight in place like a DSM34. I tried removing it per a k98 but no luck either. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing the issue? Pics attached.

Looks like one of the "tongs" is bent on the 2nd picture right side... What do you all think?

I was lucky enough to snatch a KKW rear sight on ebay. Should I try to fix the current sight? Or should I get a gunsmith to put the new sight I got on the rifle?

Does anyone know who can work on these?

I believe that you are correct that one or both of the raised pivot point on the sight base have been bent. Probably both. My guess is that the sight was elevated and levered against the pivots when it dropped or was hit.

IMO this is certainly repairable. I have had good luck straightening 98k and other Mauser rear sights with similar issues. The materials and heat treatment must be similar to KKW materials.

Any competent gunsmith or machinist could probably do this repair. May require making a tool (my choice would be of brass) to fit tightly into the slot to use as a lever to gently and steadily reverse bend the distortion. The rifle would need to be firmly clamped. No hammers and no banging. Maybe find a junk 98k sight and experiment? I would avoid heating the metal if at all possible as the risk is that the base solder will be affected. Recommend seeking several opinions. (If you are not a skilled metal worker with the required tools, do not try this at home.)

And you have the luxury of having a replacement part in case the repair does go wrong. That step will take the skills of one who can remove the old sight base and solder on the replacement.

Like anything else there are several ways to skin a cat and others may have other ways to approach the problem. Cheers

Thanks for the info GEM, some good insight and good ideas.

I'm going to ask around and see if I can find a reputable gunsmith in the Richmond, VA area. Worse comes to worse I can design a brass jig in fusion 360 and then mill it on a cnc.

First I'll have to try and figure out how to get the flip up sight off before I can try and fix it with the jig.

Will send a PM with other thoughts after examining my KKW and taking some measurements.

Military Rifle Journal
Back