Third Party Press

Sauer stocks and mag follower question

Tiger 2 Tank

Hello,
I have been looking at Sauer ‘43 and ‘44 rifles. One thing I have noticed is the stock stamps on these. Especially the keel stamp. Darn near most are almost gone and just the impression is there. Were these stocks finished after the stamps were applied? Or, what’s going on with them?

I know Sauer was just a little different with some things, so I didn’t know if this might be the case with these.

And, bullet mag followers. Did some have the bolt stop milled off? I’ve seen some that seem to have been that way.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I guess a person would have to judge a particular stock on it’s own merrits to tell what’s going on.

I was wondering on this because Sauer finishing proceedures are different than the other manufacturers. So, why wouldn’t tne Sauer stocks be the same way?

No, Sauer didn't finish stocks after the inspections. You might be seeing sanded stocks, or just stocks that have wear. All laminates have some trouble keeping inspection stamps, but keels seem more prone to it. As to grinding of bolt stops, never, that is a postwar hunting modification or a WW1 follower put on there.

The only Sauer I have is an all matching l block from 1943. The only keel marking is a E/WaA stamp, illegible because it's a double strike, but clearly applied after the stock was finished.

Military Rifle Journal
Back