Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1916 Kornbusch

Why buddy its one of the hardest Gew98 rifles too find? Put it this way it took me over 5 years to find one. And that was thanks to good collector friend. Which the only payment he took was a Waffle House breakfast!
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    Why buddy its one of the hardest Gew98 rifles too find? Put it this way it took me over 5 years to find one. And that was thanks to good collector friend. Which the only payment he took was a Waffle House breakfast!
    It's just time to let it go. I was thinking of thinning the collection.

I agree with the consensus, it is a very nice rifle and I would think Sam's $2,000 range is probably a good general starting price. I could see this pulling more though... somewhat scarcer in observations than Simson/16 (105), WOK/16 (91) is probably the scarcest general production G98 for 1916. The Suhl makers are pretty close competitors though, JPS/16 (94), CGH (107) and VCS (79), but their production is so intertwined they can only be groups together is such a statistic.

While the decision to part with the rifle would depend upon your specialty, you might take a little time to think it over, you are almost certainly not going to be able to find a finer example and if you did it would probably cost you more unless you happened across it under the same circumstances.. at auction this rifle would probably go for more than $2000 if auctioned properly.

If you feel adventurous, you might slip the handguard off and see if you can see the barrel code, it would be in front of the rearsight, though it is hit or miss whether it is rotated above the stock to see.

I would seriously reconsider on selling it, I've been actively collecting these for seven years and haven't found a nice WOK.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1908 View Post
    I would seriously reconsider on selling it, I've been actively collecting these for seven years and haven't found a nice WOK.
    Been collecting Imperial for almost 10 years. Searched for a WOK for five years until I finally found one. Only saw two complete factory original rifles come up for sale in that time frame. And one of them I bought! I did find a WOK Stern for sale once.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

If the OP has no interest in Imperial or a desire to have a type collection, then it makes sense to sell the rifle to fund something he is interested in. It really depends on the man, if his interest has settled and it isn't likely to change he should move it to further something he is interested in...

I know my interest (focus) changed several times before i settled on Imperial and Republican era, - Loewe and Simson in particular. I started with pre-39 98k, then G43's, then 98k in general, all before i owned my first Imperial. The process can take time to develop as you study the subject, but if the OP has gone through the evolution then by all means sell it to fund what does interest you.

From having regretted selling certain guns in the past,(like a matching bnz 45 with hardwood stock) I changed my approach to selling anything I have collected to

1. Will I regret/miss it when it is gone?

2. Could I ever afford replace it if I wanted another?

I don't think I would miss it when its gone. I doubt I would want another at the price I would have to pay. I have owned other Imperial era Gew98's before, but none were as nice as this (3 were turked imports, one was a mismatched duffle cut, and another is a sporter rescue Spandau).

So I'm kind of on the fence right now.