Third Party Press

bnz 45 with clothing sling from a farm

Absolut

Usually I don't have much of passion for non-matching K98k rifles - for this one it was different. It was sold off by the farmers son since his father died and he did not have the same passion as his father who carefully had hidden the gun after WWII.

It is especially interesting not only that it comes with the clothing sling (yes, damaged - still an original!), but also the original owner has stored it very well hidden, but also cared on how it would survive there and therefore covered the whole gun thickly in grease from his tractor. The whole barrel is filled with it too, not only the action, and I really had considered leaving it that way since it is very interesting to have something like this.

Aside of this, the rifle being in the high q-block is around the swap from bnz 44 to bnz 45. So it would make it a rather early 1945 gun. In my personal guess it has had some damage or error which made them set the weapon aside, but in the end where every gun was needed it received a bolt which was at hand (and while not matching is in the same q-block and also original Steyr, so for sure it left the factory this way), a clothing sling, and then handed over to the Volkssturm.

Note the perfectly visible stock acceptance, plus something which looks like a hand carved "H" on the left side of the stock. The farmer son once needed some screws, so he took off the screw from the rear sight base and the two of the barrel bands. But these should be replaceable and I guess will be the only thing that I will do with this gun, get them back in there.

Attachments

• bnz45_01.jpg
    bnz45_01.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 200
  • bnz45_02.jpg
    bnz45_02.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 174
  • bnz45_03.jpg
    bnz45_03.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 171
  • bnz45_04.jpg
    bnz45_04.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 182
  • bnz45_05.jpg
    bnz45_05.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 148
  • bnz45_06.jpg
    bnz45_06.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 173
  • bnz45_07.jpg
    bnz45_07.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 167
  • bnz45_08.jpg
    bnz45_08.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 146
  • bnz45_09.jpg
    bnz45_09.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 182
  • bnz45_10.jpg
    bnz45_10.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 145
Let me know what you would suggest, leave it this way with all the grease and dirt, or have it cleaned.

Attachments

• bnz45_11.jpg
    bnz45_11.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 108
  • bnz45_12.jpg
    bnz45_12.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 99
  • bnz45_13.jpg
    bnz45_13.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 86
The top acceptance stamp stops in "b" block of bnz4 and doesn't return until about the 7000q block, rifles between these will not have acceptance. I had 6599q and it lacked the top acceptance too. On these the Eagle H on the stock was the final acceptance by the Heereswaffenamt.

bnz 45

That's a very handsome Kar 98 with some late-war history to it.
Tks for posting and the pics,
Bob32268

The top acceptance stamp stops in "b" block of bnz4 and doesn't return until about the 7000q block, rifles between these will not have acceptance. I had 6599q and it lacked the top acceptance too. On these the Eagle H on the stock was the final acceptance by the Heereswaffenamt.

I’m not sure there can be such a defined area of return for top final. Quick study shows it coming back sporadically earlier.

My large font bnz44 q block KM has top final on receiver.

1798q has TF
2596q (Mine) has TF
2599q no TF
3463q no TF
3807q has TF

Although I’m sure this rifle is fine without as well. I like the gun. I think the grease is to the point where it isn’t helping as much anymore. I’d gently clean it.

Last edited:

...okay, thx. I seem to always forget this.

I’m not sure there can be such a defined area of return for top final. Quick study shows it coming back sporadically earlier.

1798q has TF
2596q (Mine) has TF
2599q no TF
3463q no TF
3807q has TF

Interesting. It almost seems as if when it was reinstituted some people 'forgot' after having not done it for so long. At this point I'm sure there were a lot of physically and psychologically weary workers. Even with multiple lines and multiple inspectors it seems odd that there was such a spread though. Assuming linear production rates this would be a 1-2 weeks period... at least. Without a larger sample size it's impossible to known if the missed TF are in the minority.

To the OP, interesting rifle and sling and thanks for sharing it.

Great rifle and history. The pics will show condition of rifle as you found it.The tractor grease has probably done about all it could do over the years to protect the metal. It looks like it has hardened and maybe falling off when handled. I would remove it. The rifle is in no danger of the elements ( as much) and in the hands of care. No more screws removed now. Thanks for posting.

Very cool and interesting. I have 3463 q that was referenced before. Crazy to think the rifles being 200 apart and how they ended up around the world. Great find.

Gently clean and oil the metal. I wouldn’t touch the wood or the sling. What are people’s thoughts on the sling? Was it born a sling or was it taken from another piece of equipment and pressed into service as a sling? I think it is cool either way.

My large font bnz44 q block KM has top final on receiver.

1798q has TF
2596q (Mine) has TF
2599q no TF
3463q no TF
3807q has TF

You kinda missed my point- the highest seen without the final would be the point it returned. Earlier rifles with the top final aren’t a starting point, but represent earlier rifles that were in process or early rejects that were in repair. The latest serial without the top final would indicate “about” where it started in production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need grease for gun, take from tractor.
Need screws for tractor, take from gun.

Clean gun and buy new screws from flynaked.
Fly, I also still need some phosphate Krieg screws...when's the next batch?

You kinda missed my point- the highest seen without the final would be the point it returned. Earlier rifles with the top final aren’t a starting point, but represent earlier rifles that were in process or early rejects that were in repair. The latest serial without the top final would indicate “about” where it started in production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah ok. I see.

I really like this rifle and since it hasn't been cleaned I would just leave it as is, unless your going to shoot it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back