Third Party Press

MP44 #1025u RIP

agentcq

I hate to even post these pics but after exploring all options it made the most sense to part kit this MP44. I had previously already stripped off multiple pieces but last night was the final session.
Long story short, this MP44 was a converted-auto (East German or Yugo Capture) but still considered a Prohibited weapon in Canada, which means only businesses, museums or grandfathered owners can own them. I had purchased it and had it papered to a business for years, but sadly that business went bankrupt. The MP was then in legal limbo as the banks receiver didn't want to hold onto it, however they were kind enough to do so for 7x months. As a result I only had four viable options:

1. Sell to a Grandfathered owner for cost or less than cost, but it would need to go to an RCMP lab for 3+ years to have the converted-auto modification re-authorized prior to being transferred to another Grandfathered owner.
2. Deactivate it, but in doing so it would need to be completely welded together (no moving parts).
3. Donate to a museum, but most that would take it already have an example and if lucky I might get a tax receipt with 30 cents to the dollar of my purchase price.
4. Destroy and hand in the receiver and parts kit the rest - financially break even or better.

Since I have another one of these MP44's in the same legal limbo, I decided to go ahead with Option 4 as it was the lesser of the two examples and made the most financial sense. Still makes me feel bad and it is one reason why I always try to restore 3x military firearms for everyone I need to destroy. Still trying to decide what to do with the second MP44 - currently trying to sell.

Likely the MP44 was an East German or Yugo Capture.

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 119
Proof positive that the less you have to tell the gooberment the better... This is a real I am Spartacus moment! RIP 1025u

since you are the long time owner how was the stock marked?? were there serials stamped into the buttstock, I like the replaced triggerguard unit look at that "U" in the serial number looks like a after thought.

usually east german rifles would be proofed after inspection with a pre-war style nitro proof, but there are exceptions to every rule

was the bolt original to the rifle was it deep dark black?????????? over slight pits around the bolt face??

Very sad and disturbing pics. Anyone see the mp44 parts kit on Gunrunner auctions? Really nice 45 dated and 8 days left ... hope it goes cheap.

Military Rifle Journal
Back