Third Party Press

New Member Budster

budster

Hello All, just got my First 98K and felt best to join the forum where the experts are. Still learning and hope I did not get taken on my first purchase. K98K.jpg

It is not all matching, just the receiver and barrel, few misc parts. Worried I got a RC as it has serial # stamped vertically on left side of butt stock. It is beautiful looking but like a beautiful women I let my eyes control my buying desires. I will try to get some more specific pictures. Any suggestions appreciated. Hope the one I tried to attach worked.

Thanks to all in advance

PS: Forgot to mention, has very small import marking on barrel on bottom behind sight. A company in NJ, NCO or something, Ridgefield. Hope this is not a bad sign.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard and no matter what, mostly all of us got something it wasn't the first time around. Too hard to tell from your photos. And usually vertical stamped numbers on the left butt indicates Yugo capture. Russian capture were primarily horizontal stamped. or it could be just a Yugo stock added to it. Without clearer, closer photos of markings it's likely the best you will get for a look at it from us here. But welcome again, you're in the right place. My first was a byf41 20+ years ago that turned out to have about 5-6 undisclosed issues.

Thank you Mowzerluvr, I will get more pics and post. Is it a bad thing if a Yugo Capture? I paid $650 for this and was excited as it had the German stampings.

You didn't get beat up too bad. Yugo's generally go around $450 but are inherently in poor condition. If yours has intact markings and good metal condition you did ok. Good starter piece to learn about the K98 without diving into the deep end first. Yugo capture have little collector value given condition issues most times but are more often than not really good shooters.

Markings

Here are a couple pictures showing some markings. What others would help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 12
..some markings. What others would help?

Welcome. Your rifle was made at Mauser Oberndorf in 1942. Nearly every part may be marked. Next I'd look at the bolt. Anything on the butt plate or the stock itself? The metal condition seems pretty decent.

Those two photos show the barrel and receiver appear original and in good condition. Not usual for a Yugo capture which is normally rust pitted with heavy loss of blue. Any areas that show serial numbers and condition. Go into our picture reference page and see photos usually taken to document a rifle. it will help guide you to key areas to photo.

Military Rifle Journal
Back