Third Party Press

La Coruña FR-8 Sniper

Absolut

Being a rather very exotic rifle, I nevertheless thought I would share what I had been able to buy in the US. This is a La Coruña manufactured FR-8 rifle in .308 Winchester caliber which had been officially converted to a sniper rifle. The bases were welded and the rifle was phosphated again. Interestingly the scope mount seemed to have been of a detachable type and the rear base was designed in the way to leave the rear sight in its original configuration and possibly even act as stopping part for the scope rings. Of course also the bolt handle was bent to clear the scope (originally the FR-8 bolt handle is straight). Note that no additional stock inletting for the bolt handle was done.

So far I not had been able to locate or even see a complete FR-8 sniper rifle. While there indeed are one or two poor pictures of FR-8 snipers to be found, those seem to show a different pattern of mounts (identical to the one on the La Coruña M43 sniper rifle with the large thumb screws) than on my rifle. However, when searching for FR-8 sniper on the internet, it seems that indeed there are a handful more out there with identical bases as on my rifle.

Any help on locating an original scope with mount (or either part of that) or even original pictures will be highly appreciated. Looking forward to any other comments on this rifle too!

Attachments

• fr8sniper_01.jpg
    fr8sniper_01.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 42
  • fr8sniper_02.jpg
    fr8sniper_02.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 36
  • fr8sniper_03.jpg
    fr8sniper_03.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 42
  • fr8sniper_04.jpg
    fr8sniper_04.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 32
  • fr8sniper_05.jpg
    fr8sniper_05.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 27
  • fr8sniper_06.jpg
    fr8sniper_06.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 25
  • fr8sniper_07.jpg
    fr8sniper_07.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 29
The fact the other rather "popular" (at least Google makes it one of the first search results) FR-8 sniper rifle is serial 48.909 while my rifle is serial 48.912 - so only 3 digits apart - makes me believe those might had been produced in a certain serial range.

Anyway, attached to this post please find the two pictures of FR-8 sniper rifles I was able to locate. They seem to show the mount and scope of the in one of them also shown La Coruña M43 sniper rifle - the TYPCEA Madrid scope. Also the first rifle is lacking the front sight, therefore I believe this to be another sniper variant of the FR-8.

Attachments

• RAFA_FR_8.jpg
    RAFA_FR_8.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 216
  • Spanish Sniper.jpg
    Spanish Sniper.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 207
Cool! Thanks for posting, that's a rare rifle for sure.

I always liked FR8 rifles, though I have never had one myself.

Jeff

Military Rifle Journal
Back