Third Party Press

My 1st K98k... DOU 44.

Hello all,

Recently joined. Have been wanting a K98k badly lately. I attended our local gun show today. Before I could purchase a ticket to enter I noticed a gentlemen with a Mauser on his shoulder to check in. I mentioned I wanted to see it. Upon smoking it over I found;

-DOU. 44
-No import marks, No Russian X marks, No peened out Wehrmacht markings, etc.
-Numbers matching besides the bolt (it however matched itself entirely).
-Very nice bore and barrel.
-What seemed to be original sling.

I paid $700 for it immediately and was constantly asked about it for the rest of the day / visit. I got it home and broke it down. I couldn't find any numbering for the rifle on the inside of the stock... just what seemed to be a Wehrmacht marking?

3sqX9OZ.jpg

VgadOaS.jpg

cV69jPv.jpg

XzoYV7m.jpg

x9BLDDH.jpg

xmnFIg5.jpg

oBvFuJ0.jpg

I9Dz5gi.jpg

TphVIpQ.jpg

VP5OYmo.jpg

QdDj7XG.jpg

j5Ez4Kw.jpg

dHIcqqP.jpg

pnhw6JX.jpg

9Bgx8TC.jpg

to be continued...

...continued;

PSsobKk.jpg

YLMtlnB.jpg

Feeling all tingly suddenly came to an abrupt stop; Uoon re-assembly the angled catpure screw underneath sheard off when I was just chasing it into place. I feel like I'm going to be sick. Seemed to have stamped ZBD? ZBO? I'm so pissed at myself.

Xa34xTj.jpg

II0ATMe.jpg

FFLxqRK.jpg

Like I said; I'm new and this is my first Mauser. I'm stoked to be here and reading more each day. I'm however severly upset about the capture screw.

Last edited:
I have collected K98's for over 20 years though have little knowledge of DOU rifles. All appears to be correct so far. No worries on the eagle/280 screw. It did not belong there and was a pre-1940-41 screw. Yours would have had unmarked lock screws. I have a pile of them, I'd send you a set for the cost of shipping if you can get the broken part out.

Think you did OK for the price of $700. Am sure you will feel better being offered the correct capture screw. Guys here always helpful and glad to offer advice on matters relating to 98s.

That's a very nice rifle for $700. I saw how sharp all the machined edges on the stock then saw the bolt cutout. Odd that it's edges are significantly more rounded off? The metal looks really nice. A small reverse drill bit designed for this purpose should take the screw remains right out. Can you make out the number under this small stamp in the barrel channel? Capture8.PNG

It's not the correct stock...ASFIK DOU stocks have no external markings...Probably a BCD stock as it looks like a C on the keel and with their style of E/H marking...

As said before it not an THE original stock, but a wartime made replacement. For $700 you did extremely well in today market.

Got the broken part out... it's not the pretiest job but it's out. I am trying to read up on thread pitch to chase it but not hopeful of that. Just leaving them out for now and will rather that than swap trigger guard out just to have them installed.

Got the broken part out... it's not the pretiest job but it's out. I am trying to read up on thread pitch to chase it but not hopeful of that. Just leaving them out for now and will rather that than swap trigger guard out just to have them installed.

Same problem with my bb block dou44 - broken capture screw.
Were the screws non-hardened that late?

Attachments

• IMG_2708.JPG
    IMG_2708.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 53
First range session today. I am very happy. What a rush! Shooting a little low and left at 25 yards / Low and left at 100 yards. Just getting out and cycling it. Shot 198gr and 200gr PPU. After a box and a half my shoulder was finished only wearing a light t-shirt.

I also picked up my newly ordered m3.5 x .6 tap and worked on the rear locking screw threads from snapping a head off earlier this week. My new screws came in. After 20 minutes I got some threads back and snugged everything down. It seems like it's going to work. I am VERY happy. Today was rad! Black coffee, shooting my new rifle, working on it and fixing it; Topping it off listening to some Hanns Eisler and Bach compositions while enjoying some Andech's Vollbeir Hell Helles this evening!

zCPEc2R.jpg

mscs7KI.jpg

FL3KneI.jpg

K0AEBge.jpg

1Z7gZpT.jpg

cgcxqLh.jpg

Bkv0E6M.jpg

Sounds like you're really enjoying it. :thumbsup:

PPU will always shoot low, its severely underpowered. Sellier & Bellot makes a more correct load if you want to try the real bang in FMJ and Soft point.

Sounds like you're really enjoying it. :thumbsup:

PPU will always shoot low, its severely underpowered. Sellier & Bellot makes a more correct load if you want to try the real bang in FMJ and Soft point.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind and try to locate some.

Haha awesome! I find that beer and k98’s really do mix well! I’m not picking at you, just a rhetorical pet peeve, this capture screw term needs to die. Perhaps this terminology itself is miss leading people on the correct installation of them. Captive indicates something retained in tension, of which these screws do zero of, but rather ARE lock screws as their function is purely torsional retention, and as such (especially in the case of the rear screw with the rear TG geometry) need to be installed before the action screws. There is also a difference in the mill cut from the front to the back lock screws to get around the rear TG geometry and I see people swap them around all the time. Rant over and I apologize for it, just a pet peeve haha.

Oh, geez, the naked flyer is getting all technical and aviation mechanic on us...

But he's right, I hate the term "capture screws"...sounds like something Don Mitchell coined..."these beautiful 98k's come complete with their always missing capture screws, a $200 value, FREE!"

that stock is valuable. i'd find a shooter stock to use. don't want to take a chance splitting it. nice rifle!

I have absolutely no desire to sell but would someone be willing to humor me on what it might be worth? I paid $700 for it and usually have a good idea on my rifles monetary values to the market (they mean much more to me of course)! But being so new to K98s I'm lost.

I have absolutely no desire to sell but would someone be willing to humor me on what it might be worth? I paid $700 for it and usually have a good idea on my rifles monetary values to the market (they mean much more to me of course)! But being so new to K98s I'm lost.

With the mismatched bolt and bcd stock, it is definitely worth about what you paid for it no problem. I have seen reworked Russian imported k98s go for that price. Which is a crazy IMHO. You have a great shooter though.

Military Rifle Journal
Back